Burying Stands for next year

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JackKnifeJake

Burying Stands for next year

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:14 am

I gotta spot 4 hr hike into the mountains that I scouted out this Feb. Anybody every bury a stand for the next year? and if you did what did you wrap it in to keep the elements out? I was thinking a couple trash bags

Crazinamatese

Re: Burying Stands for next year

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:21 am

Holy smokes. 4 hours? :shock:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:01 am

bout 3.8 miles from the end of the road in the blue ridge mountains....with 75lbs of gear so im tryn to lighten the load a little
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

8 hours of walking total just to hunt once...that's dedication!

Are you concerned about someone seeing the stand and stealing your spot? Or stealing the stand?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:26 pm

.mainly just no other way of getn it in then keepin it out of not so honest peoples hands. my pack already has a sled strapped to it for the slob, sleeping pads, corpse retrieval system and other stuff. i just want to get in there early and hide the stand nad sticks so my pack isn't awkward as and 100lbs +
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:22 pm

You are hard core! Stashing a lightweight inexpensive stand might be your best bet. Maybe stash multiple stands along the route for different locations. Never used one, but a lightweight tree saddle might be nice for your situation.

I would probably leave most of the gear at the truck, go in lightweight and just make two trips if you kill a deer.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Yikes! I would want to lighten the load too.

I second the saddle or hide a stand.

I would carry a rope hoist and hang that deer from a tree for the night, then 2 trip it. That's a lot of weight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:55 pm

You can hire two Mexicans to carry that stuff for you cheap..... :P
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 pm

well its public land that borders the Shenandoah national forest so you have a chance of bagging a black bear also. saw three cubs last year and missed a chance at one while trying to find cell reception at the top of a peak (left my bow at the bottom) . i was sitting on a log and he walked to within 60 ft of me. only had my knife on me so i made some noise and scared him off. thought i was gonna have to wrastle with him lol. so I try to get as remote as possible.

this is my second season hunting and after getting spotted and spooked by a couple does last year I want to get off the ground. they had bucks following them....pissed me off!

guess ill look into that tree saddle or some cheap hang ons

thanks for the help and experienced input

and Zap, youd see BigFoot before any Mexican around here
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:12 am

Check out the Ameristep aluminum stands. I'd stash them no more than a month ahead of hunting there. I don't know if I'd bury them, maybe just cover them somewhere.

I would choose aluminum as the steel ones may corrode from inside and become unsafe.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:09 am

You can set some cheapie stands and pull the sticks but hiding at ground level keeps your kill trees from being recognized. Did you want to just hide it under deadfall or really bury it?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:27 am

Go to Sportsman's Guide. They have several bargain stands that might fit your needs.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 am

Ok, to answer your question...yes I have done exactly this. You will need 55gallon drum liners and a couple. First two, depress the air and duct tape the opening after spinning it and creating a "tootsie roll" end. Then wrap with a bag opposite the duct taped ends fold over and tape flat. This will keep the water out. Next find a place to hide or dig a small hole. Use brush to keep off the dirt and let water drain(normal rains will drain, heavy rains will collect, but that's why you use multiple bags) then cover with a piece of plywood or brush and remember to know exactly where it is. I've also used hollowed stumps. I've used the big game $39.99 tree stands for this. Do not attempt a expensive stand like this :lol: I have about 5 stands that I have at bed locations way back and it's so easy to do. Also makes for great rut stands to keep in a hot area. Stands need to be brought out at end of season and check for wear and tear but it works great!

JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:01 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Ok, to answer your question...yes I have done exactly this. You will need 55gallon drum liners and a couple. First two, depress the air and duct tape the opening after spinning it and creating a "tootsie roll" end. Then wrap with a bag opposite the duct taped ends fold over and tape flat. This will keep the water out. Next find a place to hide or dig a small hole. Use brush to keep off the dirt and let water drain(normal rains will drain, heavy rains will collect, but that's why you use multiple bags) then cover with a piece of plywood or brush and remember to know exactly where it is. I've also used hollowed stumps. I've used the big game $39.99 tree stands for this. Do not attempt a expensive stand like this :lol: I have about 5 stands that I have at bed locations way back and it's so easy to do. Also makes for great rut stands to keep in a hot area. Stands need to be brought out at end of season and check for wear and tear but it works great!

Now that's what im talkin bout! You think June is too early? our season starts first week in October
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:20 am

Yep, what WhitetialAssasin said. I use heavy duty garbage bags and half a dozen old stands I have

I bury a few every spring in spots I don't want to use a tree saddle and are a mile and a half or more back in.

Be sure to mark EXACTLY where they are somehow because after things grow over them in the summer you will have a a very hard time finding them unless you know exactly where to look..."in that brush pile" is not exact enough - don't ask me how I know that :lol: Typically I bury them at the base of the tree, and just cover with a thick layer of leaves held down with a couple branches.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”