Anyone use Canoes?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Anyone use Canoes?

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Hello, I'm a new member this is my first post! Excited to find a place with other enthusiastic deer hunters. I've been successfully hunting public land for five seasons. For me that means tagging enough deer meat to last till next season. I'm am always researching and looking into new ways to be better. I ultimately want to have more chances to kill mature bucks, but that's another topic for later.
So anyone have any successful canoe hunts? My friend who piqued my interest in deer hunting public land was a huge advocate for using a boat. That first season we hunted together I lucked up and put a 2.5 year old 10 pt and a big doe in his john boat. (Both were gun kills but great under circumstances). So I bought a big flat stern canoe late last summer and have used it a handful of times. I'm still working on how to make it work best for success. It has worked well to get across lakes quickly and quietly. That's where I have seen its best use, so far. If I can easily drop in at a boat ramp then take a seven minute boat ride 1/3 mi to the back of a lake and not be sweating to death or laying down human scent it's a bonus. I had to get it registered to be able to put troller on it, but it scoots across ponds. I have put on rivers several times but am limited to what I can do alone. Some of my friends aren't always available to go. And rivers can be dangerous going it alone, but also dealing with put ins and take outs seem like it's just easier to suck it up and walk the distance.
Anyone else on here using a boat to deer hunt? Any tips or success stories would be greatly appreciated!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Anyone use Canoes?

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 am

There aren't any places around me where it doable but if I found a place where it was my best option I would use one. There's actually one public WMA near me with a big pond in the middle. A canoe or kayak would work great but the rules don't allow boat access.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:58 am

I use a canoe to use rivers and cross lakes to remote areas and a specially rigged Kayak to venture into swamp canals and marshes in areas where a canoe is to big and you would drown walking. I used to use a row boat with a motor when I was a guide to get hunter to remote areas and pick them up. It was nice cause you could fit hunters, a deer and all the hunting gear and get in and out rather quickly

Welcome to the BEAST! 8-)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:46 am

Check out Kraftd's kill threads.

Welcome to the forum.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:47 am

2 kayaks 2 canoes and a 12ft row boat. If I don't need one of them on public I usually don't hunt it.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:22 am

I take a lot of canoe trips each season. I have yet to tag one but have had a couple of nice encounters with mature public land bucks because of the canoe. Planning to scout a couple of spots on a river in the next few weeks as well, I really enjoy this kind of hunting and it is nice to get away from people. Probably even more fun to paddle instead of drag when I do catch up with one. 8-)
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:35 am

I use A flat boat with a go devil and a pirogue (mini canoe). I couldn't hunt the swamp I do without them

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
kotimaki

Unread postby kotimaki » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:08 am

I also use canoes to hunt. Float hunting is a riot in the winter. I've never shot a big deer float hunting but have filled some tags that way. One of my favorites is to boat or canoe into the middle of the biggest piece of inaccessible ground I can find and camp hunt. Once in northern Wisconsin I boated in to hunt for a week and played tag with a monster...wish I had more time to spend with that deer on that trip and a little less with the wardens but that's a story in itself...some crazies in that area I tell ya...

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 am

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm just getting into using a boat and im struggling to find areas that aren't accessible by foot. I thought it would open lots of opportunities but it hasn't.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:51 am

I have used a boat for a few years now, but I've been thinking of a canoe/kayak and also have found use for a inflatable raft or waders with a inner tube. Anyway that I have to get to where I need to be, I'm getting there. :lol: I've brought extra clothes and swam/waded across plenty of places to get near mature bucks. Last years buck was waist high water. I floated him out 1 mile to dry land. Waterlogged my iPhone, I was going to video him in his bed and shooting him, but forgot my phone was in my back pocket and otter box isn't waterproof(but my life proof case now is!!)

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 am

kenn1320 wrote:I'm just getting into using a boat and im struggling to find areas that aren't accessible by foot. I thought it would open lots of opportunities but it hasn't.

Just an idea Kenn but look for publicland that is land-locked by private, I have a few of these places and they can hold some nice bucks. The private guys hunt the area hard but don't often go into the bedding areas so you have a chance to get in there and maybe get that buck before he makes a mistake during the rut or rifle season.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:59 am

headgear wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:I'm just getting into using a boat and im struggling to find areas that aren't accessible by foot. I thought it would open lots of opportunities but it hasn't.

Just an idea Kenn but look for publicland that is land-locked by private, I have a few of these places and they can hold some nice bucks. The private guys hunt the area hard but don't often go into the bedding areas so you have a chance to get in there and maybe get that buck before he makes a mistake during the rut or rifle season.

Yeah that was the plan, however at least in southern mi our state has done a great job of making everything accessible. Even my searches in 2 other states are showing a lack of secluded parcels. Ive found some that a boat can shorten the walk, but at what point is it worth hauling the boat out versus walking?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:18 am

kenn1320 wrote:but at what point is it worth hauling the boat out versus walking?

Good question, no doubt it depends on the area. I do paddle into a couple of spots I can walk into. After a few long hikes or getting "misplaced" on the way out in the dark it can be nice to avoid a long hike and glide across some water on the canoe. Heck it might be an even trade out, after 4-5 canoe trips it's nice to leave the boat at home sometimes. :lol: The biggest advantage is if you shoot something, a few hundred yards to a canoe sure beats a mile+ drag that is for sure. Of course you can always hike out and go get your canoe to pick up the deer, that has been part of my game plan many times.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:10 am

I'm lookin at the otter duck boats.. They are relatively light, but more stable, and better for transporting gear

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”