Wisconsin Public Land and Bicycles

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowliever87

Wisconsin Public Land and Bicycles

Unread postby bowliever87 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 am

Does anyone know what the rules for bicycles on public land in Wisconsin is?

Thanks in advance!

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin Public Land and Bicycles

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

most places I know have signs telling you what is allowed and what is not. bike trails are marked and you can only use the marked trails as far as I know.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

I do this quite a bit. As long as it's not marked you can ride a bike. On some Federal or National Forest lands they may have special regulations so better check into it to make sure as some areas are restricted to foot travel only.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:38 pm

On our public land as long as it's not motorized you're good. Now I just need a bike!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Id truly look for a used mtn bike at spring/summer garage sales. Youd be surprised how much easier even coasting on flat terrain with 30 lbs of gear is on the body. This year was my first attempt, and it was a blast! I use an old bike and I just lay it down off the trail. If somebody messes with it I wouldnt care...just have a long walk back to the car. Good luck in WI!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:52 am

Here is what it says in WI Hunting regs....

"• operate any vehicle, including but not limited to snowmobiles, bicycles, trail bikes, and
all-terrain vehicles except where their use is authorized by posted notice or permit. This
prohibition does not apply to public roadways and trails held open to the public for the type
of vehicle being operated,
Note: bicycles are permitted in all areas of the northern state forests and the TurtleFlambeau
and Willow Flowage Scenic Water Areas, except where posted against
such use."

This is on page 35 of the regs.

So my take on this is any old logging road that is blocked by a gate or an earth berm to prohibit motor vehicle trail, it is also illegal to take your bike around that obstacle...foot travel only unless otherwise posted.
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 am

I used a bike last fall to get into some WMA's in MN. Never even considered it wouldn't be legal. I should probably look into that for next year.

I pulled a burley childs trailer with my gear in it. It was nice in that I didn't have to carry all the stuff on my back and I could make time on flat ground where the tractor path ran through the WMA. The hills seemed a lot bigger on the bike, and even bigger once I added a deer to the load. I ended up pedaling on flat ground, coasting down hills and pushing up hills. One hill was maybe 100 yards long and I had to stop no less than 10 times, but it was nice, I would just grab the brakes on the bike and put my foot behind the tire and I could rest. I'm not in the best shape, but I did pick my kids up from daycare (7 miles) on the bike daily through half of August, september and half of October so it isn't like I went from couch potato status to pack mule overnight.

Next season, I will use the bike for mostly flat travel if I have to go over a half mile. If a spot has hills, I think it is a wash to take the bike so I'll probably just walk it, or push the burley with my gear in it if I think i'll need it to get an animal out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:01 am

Check out this thread............viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21616
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:03 am

Do it all the time. Not in Wisco but It definately has its utility in certain scenerios. a great deer cart as well.
Heres my rig. Buddy gave me his wall mart special from college. We have a mess of sand on the roads so I go wide tires low air pressure as well.
Definately a great way to get in deep.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:29 am

wibowhntr wrote:Here is what it says in WI Hunting regs....

"• operate any vehicle, including but not limited to snowmobiles, bicycles, trail bikes, and
all-terrain vehicles except where their use is authorized by posted notice or permit. This
prohibition does not apply to public roadways and trails held open to the public for the type
of vehicle being operated,
Note: bicycles are permitted in all areas of the northern state forests and the TurtleFlambeau
and Willow Flowage Scenic Water Areas, except where posted against
such use."

This is on page 35 of the regs.

So my take on this is any old logging road that is blocked by a gate or an earth berm to prohibit motor vehicle trail, it is also illegal to take your bike around that obstacle...foot travel only unless otherwise posted.

Yet horses are ok on pretty much any piece of dnr,county, state land and they tear the crap out of the trails. This state continually baffles me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”