Young Cedar Thicket Bedding

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dkoy85

Young Cedar Thicket Bedding

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 am

G'day fellas! I'll be hunting Delaware again this year, but this time on a different piece of public land. Looks very flat with young pine thickets dispersed throughout. It looks like an awesome area and very thick. Anybody have any experience with cedar thickets? How do the deer use these areas to bed? Thanks!

cbay
500 Club

Re: Young Cedar Thicket Bedding

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:36 am

They are a doe magnet around here. Try to find out how they filter out to feed.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 am

Magnets in Midwest too, especially in hill country. Cedar thicket are relatively localized in the southern Midwest while large cedar forest/swamps are more common in the northern Midwest. How big is your thicket?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:26 am

Cedar thickets are great deer areas. Lot of times I like to lay down and look through the bottoms. See deer quite often this way. Deer can see you walking but you can't see them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:52 am

I'm hoping to get out in the next couple weekends and put some boot leather on the ground. I'll be taking my tape measure and a bunch of pictures... see if I can make sense of it all. The biggest problem is, is that there are a lot of pine plantations and the land is VERY flat. Never hunted anything this flat. Be very interested in watching a DVD on how to locate buck beds and hunt flat land bucks *Hint hint Dan!*

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”