Trail Cameras and Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Racks&Beards

Re: Trail Cameras and Public Land

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:05 am

I personally don't use trail cams on public land, but I run across quite a few when I'm out and about. It amazes me at how some people just place theirs in the most easy to see/find locations.

Side note: One piece of public land here in west central Missouri put up "Trail cameras are not authorized" signs in all their parking lots midway through this past season. I thought it was odd because it was A: The only piece of public ground of the many I frequent around here that had these signs, and B: There is no mention of trail cams at all in ANY of the Missouri Dept. of Conservation's rules & regulations. So, out of pure curiousity I contacted the MDC to ask about it. The answer I got was....and I quote...."Chapter 11 of the Wildlife Code does not authorize the use of game cameras on MDC lands. As a "permissive code" if it doesn't say you may do it, then you may not"

:roll:

Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:That would be great I would be interested in purchasing one those as long as it's reasonable.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I'm in for a couple of these. Will it fit any camera we decide to use.

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 am

Had my first cam stolen over the weekend...by the boot tracks it was a father son duo of rabbit hunters....chapped my pretty good I'm more mad at not being able to see what was on the cam than the actual cam being stolen

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 am

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:Had my first cam stolen over the weekend...by the boot tracks it was a father son duo of rabbit hunters....chapped my pretty good I'm more mad at not being able to see what was on the cam than the actual cam being stolen

The only camera I've had stolen (so far) was taken by rabbit hunters, I believe. And that was on private land. I think they didn't want me to see they were trespassing. That's when I started hanging them high up. Haven't had a problem on public land.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
tracer
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/beachcams

Unread postby tracer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:54 am

Great idea, nice work.
I hunt public land most of the time and that is where I set up all my cameras. I've never had a camera stolen or tampered with so I guess I've been pretty lucky.
I've had hunters walk by them , not even spotting the camera. My set ups are in secluded areas where I rarely see another persons tracks.
I like this form of concealment and will have to try it.
Authorized SPYPOINT Dealer
BADLANDS GEAR Dealer

https://www.whitetailscrossing.com
ajsawyer

Unread postby ajsawyer » Wed May 06, 2015 1:25 am

I just avoid setting mine up anywhere near eye level, mainly that means putting them low to the ground and surrounding with cut branches & vines - especially on hillsides. The most interesting pictures I've gotten so far this year were from a finger of 500 yard wide public land with neighborhoods on both sides. Here's a "hunter" running north:

And here he is again walking back south 11 minutes later:

I've also gotten pictures of what I think were fighting dogs that must have gotten loose:

All the more reason to carry while hunting.
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Churchill
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu May 07, 2015 10:16 am

My BIL and I put a lot of trail cams on public and never had a problem but we always had them way up north and way back in the woods. This year I put one up on the high pressure public land in S.E Wis. for 3 weeks now. As of last week it was still there.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:03 pm

Just like JoeRE stated I have never had one stolen off of public land. All of the cams I have have stolen or cards removed from were on private land. I assumed they were all taken by trespassers. On public land I either place the cams higher in a tree using 1 LW stick so others can't reach easily or brush them in carefully. Also, I've left one out during the season for more than 1 week.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Re: Trail Cameras and Public LandThe housing. That would wor

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun May 24, 2015 2:51 am

Lovely setup Brett. I also like Joere's idea about gluing leaves and sticks to The housing. That would work very well and be Cheap and easy. I typically hang mine one stick and one aider/etrier high. It gets the camera up at 12-14 feet. Even if they're spotted, someone would have to be organized to steal them. I usually always conceal the straps by breaking up the line with cut forked branches. The most important part is to keep the camera away from eye level. Putting it down low is a smart idea, but if it spotted, it's really easy to pick up.

bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 am

Brett wrote:i used them for the first time this year on public, but i put them about 15' in the air on some thick bedding routes. Got a couple good shooters on cam, but pulled both cameras (browning) at the end of season due to the likelihood of increased people activity due to shed hunting. I'll put them back out come June/Aug. Last year i had an issue of cams getting stolen of private land, so i was very hesitant to put them on public. So i started custom camouflaging them :D Was thinking of starting to sell the trail cams all camo'ed out for a few extra $$$, but wanted to test the integrity of them before i did. Worked well this year and held up to 4 months of weather.

This looks cool !
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:55 am

I keep hoping a tutorial is coming for these

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:44 pm

I carry my sticks in and go high with them. I cut off limbs with vegetation on then and place them behind the camera to angle them down and conceal them. I also believe I'm part monkey and get to places most can't climb.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”