First bowhunt on public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

First bowhunt on public land

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 am

Hey guys last weekend I decided to try public land bowhunting for the first time in my life. I was actually more excited to hunt public than our private land. We have had a lot of pressure on our land from my uncle tracking his buck and my brother tracking his buck too. I thought I would bring down the pressure this last weekend and try hunting in a marsh river bottom. I scouted there last spring using the tactics I learned from Dan. I found a staging area just outside of the swamp with rubs and scrapes about 100 yards from the field edge which is up top about 100 feet above the swamp. On my entry I found a 3.5 finger track and several scrapes on the field edge then I went down into the swamp. I figured the bucks wouldnt get to the field until dark or after. Then I encountered a big problem. Mosquitos were unbelieveable last Saturday night becuase we had major flooding in our area. I just couldnt stand it!!! I kept moving as well because of the itching. I ended up leaving early it was so bad. Does anyone have a solution to these buggers? I believe there is some prduct called Thermacell? Any luck with this?

solocam88
500 Club

Re: First bowhunt on public land

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:54 am

Yes, thermacell.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 am

Thanks solocam....how much? I dont have alot of money.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:01 am

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:08 am

A couple weeks ago I forgot my thermacell and the mosquitos ended up being horrible, I mean breathing them in and buzzing inside my facemask horrible. I was so mad at myself for that. Make sure you replace the pads on them often to or they wont work.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 am

If I am certain that the deer travel is upwind of where I am planning on hunting I use the good old-fashioned "Deep-Woods Off". Gets the job done evey time and I honestly have had deer downwind with the stuff on and they seemed intrigued by the smell and didn't spook....being scent-free before application probably helped. I hate skeeters!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:59 am

Yea man Thermacells DO work! I can't do the skeetos and on occassion use 2 thermacells. You will still get a few but the hordes will stay at bay. Pads last about 4hrs so pack accordingly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”