waterloo and pickney rec areas michigan

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Re: waterloo and pickney rec areas michigan

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:16 am

Hawthorne wrote:I might be interested in meeting you guys out there for some scouting. Let me know

[ Post made via Android ] Image

By all means, you were the O P !

A ways out but would like to set something up Late March/Early April before the April Spring Turkey Season opener !

Would like to pick a day that works for everyone. Breakfast & Coffee in the morning in or near Chelsea and go over the areas we want to scout, then head out there and put the boots on the ground :dance:

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:25 am

Sounds good. Thanks

BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:52 am

dirt nap giver wrote:It's hard to find areas in southern Michigan where someone can get back 1+ miles. Seems like there is a 2 track, horse trail, cross country ski/foot trial every 1/4 mile. They do exist, just been my experience.
Most of my best pressured spots in Michigan are right by the road. I feel like an idiot sitting them sometimes, but they produce.

I agree. I've yet to find them where they are supposed to be. Overlooked is the ticket.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

obrion

Unread postby obrion » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:36 pm

did you guys actually get together? I am down to scout if there is room. Work has finally settled down and I am ready for planning next season.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:42 am

Ive scouted a lot of land in Pickney and its great for bird watchers, not so much for hunters. As mentioned above, the state has made access so easy that you cant "get away". I crawled through some nasty autumn olive, through some nasty green rose or whatever its called and found a small creek that I could barely cross with my hip waders. I thought jack pot, then found a make shift blind and a bucket. There are so many hunters in these areas and everybody has read you need to get way back in, that I dont doubt there are some better spots by the roads. Find where the deer can watch the parking lots as the hunters come and go and you might find a nice deer. Ive found several spots where deer do that. Find a horse trail or 2 track or any obvious people trail and the first hill that you pass, climb it and you will find bed(s) on top of it. Finding beds is easy, its understanding how to hunt them that is the real challenge. How the deer comes and goes and how you can get close enough to get a shot in daylight is the challenge.
Take pics and let us know how it goes, good luck.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:12 am

I agree with what everyone has said. I hunted it sporadically for 10 years. Took two good deer out of that area. Sightings were few and far between and had far more hunts ruined that those that were productive and enjoyable. Access is too easy from nearly every angle and the sheer numbers of hunters through there was nuts. My best spots weren't far from the road. Had a few decent hunts deep into the thick stuff with a buddy. The issue for me was it seemed the top bucks just weren't that great. A 2 year old 8 point with a 14" spread would be what I would describe as "rare". Of course there was the hand full of slightly bigger ones taken every year but definitely a difficult area to hunt mostly due to lack of target animals. With that being said..the last few years the areas have seen a lot less pressure but mostly due to drastically reduced deer levels.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 am

:lol: !! RR7 you have made my day... Can you imagine what guys in other states think when they hear that 2 year olds with a 14 inch spread are rare? My Mich public two year olds typically score 85-95 typical. My three year olds typically score 106-116 as a typical 8 and they are as crafty and scarce as any leprechaun!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:41 am

2.5 year old 8 points with 14 inch spreads for Michigan public is "rare". It's a shame if you ask me. Hunting pressure changes from year to year. Different areas are hot one year and the next not. I'm constantly moving to new areas looking for a mature deer. With no protected deer in Michigan, allowed to shoot buttons with a doe tag, and allowing 2 bucks, one of any size, makes it hard for a buck to reach maturity let alone 3.5 yrs old. It's possible, but man does it take a lot of work. I mainly hunt central Michigan, exclusively public. This year I have my few beds that are productive, but my time and money will be spent in Ohio and also Kentucky. And the following year, dakotas possibly Missouri maybe added to the list. Iowa is also coming soon, points are accumulating but I would like it to be on good ground, maybe private farm. If you look at the money on gas, time etc., you could hunt better areas. You may not be able to hunt as much, but the quality is much better and more enjoyable IMO. Btw thanks RR7 appreciate your help.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:44 am

Singing Bridge wrote::lol: !! RR7 you have made my day... Can you imagine what guys in other states think when they hear that 2 year olds with a 14 inch spread are rare? My Mich public two year olds typically score 85-95 typical. My three year olds typically score 106-116 as a typical 8 and they are as crafty and scarce as any leprechaun!

Absolutely spot on SB!!

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:23 pm

I hope the four of you get a chance to scout it, game plan it, not interfere with each other, but strategize some systematic pressure (or bed elimination), and finally tag something good for the area. I will cheer you guys on from about an hour up the road.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Uncle Lou,
That is an interesting idea about collectively and systematically pressuring the bedding areas. I just saw how effective that could be from Dan's hunting journal last year with the conservancy land he and Mario worked their way through. I never thought about doing something like that here in MI. Thanks for the ideas.

9pt

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:06 am

You have to hunt smart to shoot a 2.5 year old 8 with a 14" spread on most private land in Michigan also. We went and scouted some of Waterloo. I agree it would be hard work to get a good buck out of there. Also would need a little luck. LOL

TheDarkness

Unread postby TheDarkness » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:15 pm

So, Did you guys do it? Any results?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 am

Ridgerunner explained it really well in his post. It’s a tough place to hunt has is all public land in zone 3. Beast tactics apply. Takes persistence and dedication. Good luck!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Singing Bridge wrote::lol: !! RR7 you have made my day... Can you imagine what guys in other states think when they hear that 2 year olds with a 14 inch spread are rare? My Mich public two year olds typically score 85-95 typical. My three year olds typically score 106-116 as a typical 8 and they are as crafty and scarce as any leprechaun!

sounds like your in the same boat as jersey our bucks on public all act like 5 year olds if they make it past 1.5
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”