deer crossing rivers

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kennyz

deer crossing rivers

Unread postby kennyz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:33 am

I have been doing quite a bit of scouting and see all the time where deer are walking across the frozen river.from bank to bank its about 500yds would the deer do this river crossing on a daily basis when the river is not frozen or dont they swim if they dont have to it is on 6000acres of public

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: deer crossing rivers

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:54 am

500 yards is just over a quater mile and deer can swim that quite easily. We see quite a few deer that frequent islands in large lakes and flowages.

Now for a deer to that on a daily basis...can't say I've ever seen deer do that. They may in some situations and interested it what others post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:33 am

Water is a much better edge than a thoroughfare for deer. If I ca can set with water to my back I'll do it. I have seen a couple bucks go across the Mississippi river. That said I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of bucks travel parallel to rivers.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:40 am

I wouldn't expect them to swim it frequently, but they'll definitely do it. I was in Canada fishing once when we saw a whitetail doe swimming from island to island. She was swimming pretty close to a half mile.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Stanley wrote:Water is a much better edge than a thoroughfare for deer. If I ca can set with water to my back I'll do it. I have seen a couple bucks go across the Mississippi river. That said I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of bucks travel parallel to rivers.

During the rut I've seen bucks use the Flint River as a "Doe Trap" by pushing them near the river, maybe 200-300 yards then when the does think the coast is clear they would go to the river to drink and the buck would charge them from upwind. I was setup near a prominent "watering hole" and saw a lot of action for a heavily hunted tract. Rivers also offer sound & pull your scent if you're setup close enough which reduce your chances of being busted, that's what I've experienced at least.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”