New beast hunter how's this look

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

killinbucks

New beast hunter how's this look

Unread postby killinbucks » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 am

I am new to beast hunting and have applied what I've been reading and started to find things right where they should be. I will put another post with the pics and map of the area. Basically it is a public land marsh area that runs north/south with farms/hardwoods to the west and east. Access is really only from the west but with some walking could be north or south. My question is how close or far can I get to the bedding area and expect to see the buck during the daylight? The closest tree is 50 yds away but quite noisy walking thru water and cattails. The next closest is 80-90 yds away with less noise and a few more tree options with some cover. I also found a rub line close to that area headeing south (all rubs on the north side of the trees) just inside of the "woods". Would that be a rut hunting spot more so? The next post has the pics. Thanks Dan for any help. I can't wait to get your marsh hunting video.

killinbucks

Re: New beast hunter how's this look

Unread postby killinbucks » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:00 am

Here is the spot with no mark up's.
Here is the sign I found. Not sure about the bed no snow and no good defined area but a spot that looked matted down. No hair tho.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:16 am

Your stand position looks perfect.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:35 am

Looks good. In the future I would suggest removing the GPS coordinates when you post aerials. Being that it's public land you wanna be more careful with that. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
killinbucks

Unread postby killinbucks » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Guess I was jyst happy it worked. Ill remove that posting. No need to do work for someone else.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Fixed it for you, I did not look at the coordinates. I would not snibble your spots.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks Stan! 8-)
killinbucks

Unread postby killinbucks » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks Stan.
I figured out how to take that off the screenshot. My future posts will be cleaner. I have some other pics of the area when I scouted and will post soon. I'm having trouble with my phone and might have to upload them to my computer first. The most controversial has been the "buck" scat or at least what I think is. I showed some guys at work and they did not believe it was a deer at all. I am not sure myself. I have never seen this kind before. I will try to get the pics up fo analysis this weekend. Thanks Again.
killinbucks

Unread postby killinbucks » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am

I had set my trail camera out on the island to see what activity is going on out there. I guess I'm not the only one who likes that spot. I captured 4 different hunters (5 including myself) out there in 10 days. Mostly afternoon. A few does, but some at 2am. Will this amount of human pressure ruin that spot? Would it be good again when its wet and difficult to access? There was decent buck sign but he may be dead or not bedding there due to the pressure? I did notice there were two "spots" to check out to the north of the island. They are 10-14" tree's, that may be enough ground for a deer to bed. Would a buck be hanging out there and watching everyone mill around on the island then use it for a staging area to head into the woods after dark? The trees are visable in the above photos and do have what appears to be a trail leading to them. I will check them out next time I head over there now that there's snow I should get a better idea on whats around. Lots of other areas to investigate.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:12 am

Yep the pressure probably chased that buck out of there. I would scout out the smaller clumps of trees, big bucks can sometimes hide in very small places.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”