Oh Public Land...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chooch

Oh Public Land...

Unread postby Chooch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Reaped the negatives of public land today... went to check in on my favorite stand, make sure everything was good to go and what not... sure enough, stand is gone. 20 feet away, another hunter has my steps set up with a stand 35 feet up.. Sure enough there's more sign in my 'honey' hole than there has been in the last few years... oh well, thats what I get :roll:

Found a MASS amount of oaks near a thicket branching out to a cornfield, on the opposite side is a power line. Fresh rubs surrounding, a few seemed to be from a 2 or 3 year old. Setting up there Friday morning if the wind cooperates.

Hunting buddy checked out a spot a few miles over, walked into a field and saw two nice 10's and a 1.5 year old fork eating apples.

I've been busier than ever these last couple of months but I'll be sure to check in as much as I can!! Good luck to everyone! - Chooch

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Oh Public Land...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Sorry to hear about those guys messing with your stand...

Good luck Chooch, hopefully your oaks produce for you this year. 8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Sucks, I,ve been there too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Thats whats good about being mobile... They would have to pry the stand out of your hands to steal it...
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:08 pm

:evil: I hope whoever stole it never shoots anouther deer in there whole life. Oh maybe they could also have a flat tire or 2 on there way out hunting.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:42 am

if your 100% sure those are your steps I would......climb up and chain his up in the tree and then take out your steps as you climb down. just my .02

Best of luck on your new spot
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:20 pm

I agree, go get your steps back! And then some, if you catch my drift.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05 pm

If someone did that to my stuff I would take every last bit of that guys crap. I have NEVER even thought about stealing someone elses stuff throughout my years hunting on public land. I however had two stands stolen and a tote of all of my hunting clothes. I cannot stand a thief!
Chooch

Unread postby Chooch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:43 pm

I did consider taking the steps back, but then I'm a 'thief' too... Plus, good Karma in the woods never hurt anybody ;)

I hear ya Dan. That's why I figured "at least I can bring my mobile gear here..." but then Oop! There's his stand, already set. :roll:

We'll see what happens tomorrow 8-)
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry to hear that your stand was stolen. I had a stand stolen about 5 years ago. It was one of the best things that ever happened for my hunting. It made me evaluate how I hunt public land. I went out and bought two lone wolf stands, a climber and hang on with sticks and haven't looked back since. One thing lead to another as I found Bloodbro.com and now this site and have learned a ton from the videos and all the wise hunters here. Sometimes you make lemonade when given lemons. Good luck this year and don't give up.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Eat a huge burrito, walk in and take your property back and then drop your trousers and leave a nice pile of used-up burrito at the base of his tree and half a roll of two-tone, two-ply Charmin!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 am

It's a shame that a guy scouts, works hard, anticipates, etc...all to have to shot down so quickly by some disrespectful wanna be...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:06 am

publiclandhunter wrote:Eat a huge burrito, walk in and take your property back and then drop your trousers and leave a nice pile of used-up burrito at the base of his tree and half a roll of two-tone, two-ply Charmin!

PLH

I have to admit I have done this before. Some guy parked a ladder stand in one of my favorite public spots, didn't notice it until it got light out. Well when it came time to pack up I though I would leave him a gift right in front of his ladder. I even threw a few stick so the TP wouldn't blow away. I don't really care for people putting up stands and "claiming" spots like that.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 am

Sorry to hear of this. There has been a few posts on another hunting site (not BBO, for those that are curious which one) where I came back with a response to go mobile, how it's a little more work but you won't loose your stuff (the post was about stolen stands/cameras on private, not public) and boy have I gotten lamblasted big time!!!!!
The original post was from someone in Iowa this happened to and in his post he immediately blamed bowhunters, with no proof at all. Then came back with "hunters" angain with no proof. That is what set me off and had me respond. Several people raked me over the coals about my going mobile response and I was the only one that commented and was po'd that the immediate accusation was bowhunters.
What a messed up world we live in.
By the way, not one person said that was a great idea. They think that holding people at gunpoint, or shooting at them is the way to go!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 am

Chooch wrote:I did consider taking the steps back, but then I'm a 'thief' too...
Nope, you're not correct Chooch. Go get your steps back and the stand too as long as you're sure they are your steps :x !!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”