Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest S.E. Wis. gun hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest S.E. Wis. gun hunti

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:17 am

Here are so many trials for hiking, horses and snowmobiles- getting a couple miles back in the kmf isn't a huge deal. Imo- this is what makes hunting there not easy to do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 am

matt1336 wrote:Here are so many trials for hiking, horses and snowmobiles- getting a couple miles back in the kmf isn't a huge deal. Imo- this is what makes hunting there not easy to do.

I agree. Access is so easy human pressure can come from any direction. It sure is a challenge and deer can be mostly nocturnal.

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 am

I've even hunted there, haha!! There was a 190" +/- shot there awhile back.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 am

ihookem wrote:Sure, PredtorTC. I live 7 mi. west of Kewaskum . Cause of that I decided to keep it close . I don't hunt much north of Speculator. I figure thee is about 7,000 ac. of public land south of there so if I can't find a buck on the south end of the Kettles, I won't find one north of there neither. I have several spots around New Fane that just seems pounded. I was out there northof New Fane yesterday . We walked from just north of the white church nort of New Fane , all the way north along the river to the Mauthe Lake closed area. Then we went east a bit and back south to the car. This i a big cedar swamp that I have scouted severl times no. No matter where I went I saw spling cuts, water bottles, cigarette and cand wrappers. I saw fresh footprints in the mud in quite a few places that seemed fresh. I saw where someone cut a trail 1/4 mi. long. There is sign of a big buck there though. Here is the track I believe is the bruiser racking up some of the trees back there.( I am considering asking the DNR to pass a law, $1,000dollar fine for littering just to raise awareness of thi problem. I also hunt south of New Fane all the way down to the south end of the public land.This is what I found way back in the swamp. yesterday. I have no idea what the heck it's doing there and not sure I want to know. The last pic is my son heading into the swamp. We did see trails and dropping but not what it should have been. I also wonder if we kicked this buck up. It was on a run and away from us. ImageImageImage

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Haus86 wrote:I've even hunted there, haha!! There was a 190" +/- shot there awhile back.

Public areas like this that are easily accessable to many people, are the most difficult of all places to hunt (IMHO). However, if a 190" whitetail was shot there, then he had a safe place to hide from hunters. There are places that are too physically demanding to get to, or too nontraditional (no trees), that don't even get considered by hunters, that can grow a big buck even with people seemingly every where...it is amazing! It is our challenge to find these places if we hunt there.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

I
Last edited by ihookem on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:00 pm

I scouted a marsh again today in the Kettles.. It was full of dogwood. I found several beds that I am sure were from a buck. Some hair and quite a few rubs inside of 20' . It is not all that far away from a hardwoods that is used so often the hunters have a trail that is 2' wide. This buck can smell every hunter on a east or north wind. There are no trees close by. Just when I was ready to give up on this place ,,,, something clicked today. I found a bonified beast stand hunt. It is a heavy trail coming out of a marsh with a lone tree I can use. I can also use a tree once it gets to the edge of the hardwoods where the trail comes out of the swamp. I am somewhat encouraged after todays scouting trip. I can tell ya one thing, marshes with high grass and cattails with dogwood hold by far the most deer and by far the least hunted, at least over the winter there are more deer there than anywhere. From what beast hunters say, these marshes hold deer all year long.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”