Public/Private boundaries

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Public/Private boundaries

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:49 am

Dewey wrote:I never understood the guys setting right on or even within 10 yards of a private land boundary, especially when facing their land. It's asking for trouble and I could see how it could cause friction with the landowner. I look at it as having respect for others property that they worked hard to pay for. When I hunt near private I try to keep a 100 yard buffer when I set up. Sure many times sign looks better right at the boundary but it's not worth the hassle to me to push it for my own benefit. With a 100 yard buffer and good shot placement the deer will most times not make it back to the private land if it came from there. I would hate to put a killing shot on a big buck and have a landowner refuse to track and recover it on his land. Over the years I have heard many instances of this happening and every one the guy was hunting right on the property line creating conflict with the landowner.

Thank you Dewey. You get it.

If someone asked permission of me to retrieve a deer, and their stand was not right on the border, I'd let them no problem. A guy with a stand facing my land less than 20 yards from the border, no way I'd let him.......If coarse people that are willing to push the envelope, wouldn't ask to retrieve a deer anyway.....

Is no wonder you can't knock on doors and get permission anymore. There is just no respect for the landowner. It's obvious between this thread and the coyote dog thread....

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:15 am

It's not a point if it's right or wrong but it's comes down to ethics and respect. For example let's say two guys are hunting public. One guy sets up and shortly after the second one sets up 10 yards from the first guy. Sure it's legal but we all know it's ethically not the right thing to do. We all have different views and I respect that so pretty sure there will be no agreements on this topic and that's fine.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 am

This is a picture of a ladder stand I had set up in 2013. The yellow dot being the stand location, the line of course is the border, and the arrows showing approx where the deer filtered into the field during the early season. I was only about 20-30 yards from the border, and my stand was facing west. I had no ethical issues with this setup. Then again, there were no signs of hunting along the entire property border on the private side. If there had been a stand near the line on the private side though, I wouldn't have set up anywhere near it. Just like Dewey said, it's the respectful thing to do. With that said, I wouldn't have felt like I did anything wrong at all if I was to shoot a deer in the corner of that bean field and it turned north and ran onto that private land.....side note, this stand was stolen that year. I meant for it to be an early season only stand to try and kill a does from, and then had to go to california for 3 weeks of training on short notice. Came back and it was gone :cry:

Last edited by Racks&Beards on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 am

So let me ask any of you guys that say you never setup near private land. Your on your stand one night and see a booner but he is not in range but he would be if you setup closer to the property line. Not saying you do anything wrong just move closer to make the kill. You would pass the booner because it's not 30 yards from the property line. You would move closer and try and make sure the kill shot is good and hope it doesn't go back onto the private land.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:14 am

186buck wrote:So let me ask any of you guys that say you never setup near private land. Your on your stand one night and see a booner but he is not in range but he would be if you setup closer to the property line. Not saying you do anything wrong just move closer to make the kill. You would pass the booner because it's not 30 yards from the property line. You would move closer and try and make sure the kill shot is good and hope it doesn't go back onto the private land.

That's a great question but I still stand by my original belief. I would rather figure out where that buck is traveling well onto the public land instead of crowding the private land.

Problem is rack size tends to cloud judgement and cause many to do things they wouldn't normally do. That's when the trouble starts but probably a topic for another thread.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 pm

I have been very aware of property lines for entry and exit. That means not using their private BUT walking the line. Will that seem disrespectful to owners? Some? Just the guys with attitudes?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 pm

I will have to agree to disagree on this. I do see both sides, but my issue is the belief that if anyone should be able to hunt it, it's the private land owner. It's basically like the guy who keeps pushing his private signs farther onto public. Claiming more and feeling it's there right. You may own your land but the animals that move back and forth from it you don't. Many landowners will not for any reason allow a recovered deer on their land, especially if they hunt and it's a good buck. Problem is the lack of respect from both parties has split them and made both bitter and only dig in more to their stances of right and wrong from there own sides.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Its generally pretty easy to tell if a stand is set up to cover across the fence.

I myself will hunt pretty close to property lines but not within range of the other side. Why? I don't want to tempt myself if a giant buck stops right on the other side of the fence. I am a realist, no one has absolute self control (beware of those who claim they do) and the easiest way to do the right thing is avoid temptation....that is true for a lot of things in life.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:37 pm

I definitely see both sides as well. Lucky for me I don't have to worry about being denied permission to recover an animal. It would be an entirely different ball game if that was the case.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Trust me, I see both sides, as I said I'm a public land hunter too.

I agree with a lot of what everyone said.

Am I the only one here that owns land bordered by public? I feel out numbered on this one.....

Does anyone who commented on this thread own any land that is huntable?

It seems that just about all of us rely on land we don't own to pursue what we love to do. :think: :think: :think:

You guys all want to hunt Beast style, and a big part of it is picking your day, knowing that 2 or 3 sits is gonna burn the spot.

How you gonna like it when your private spot, that you pay thousands in tax just to keep it, gets burned and ruined cause people who hunt the line have to retrieve deer on your piece.

Every case is different. There are many senerios where hunting the line makes sense. My little 45 is bordered by 5000 public. So in MY case, hunting the line is a poor choice anyway.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:51 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:I will have to agree to disagree on this. I do see both sides, but my issue is the belief that if anyone should be able to hunt it, it's the private land owner. It's basically like the guy who keeps pushing his private signs farther onto public. Claiming more and feeling it's there right. You may own your land but the animals that move back and forth from it you don't. Many landowners will not for any reason allow a recovered deer on their land, especially if they hunt and it's a good buck. Problem is the lack of respect from both parties has split them and made both bitter and only dig in more to their stances of right and wrong from there own sides.

My land is posted on the correct line, and so is the state land. All clearly marked.

As the landowner gets closer to the border, his "30 yard circle" is always the same size the closer he gets to the border. The land owner can easily go any where to retrieve the deer.

As the public hunter gets closer to the border, his "30 yard circle" of where he can shoot, gets smaller. On the border he can only shoot half of the circle. If the public land hunters deer goes onto private, now he has to get permission, or trespass. If a big buck is standing on the other side, the public guy wont shoot??? Yeah , right. :roll:

And the guys on the Beast are a higher quality deer hunter, and I do believe most of you guys when you say you wouldn't shoot over the border, or trespass. But think about all the public land slob hunters out there......
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:52 pm

I put up dummy stands on a couple of fence lines that border some of the spots I hunt. They bump up to leased ground and I don't want the guys leaching in.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:31 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Many landowners will not for any reason allow a recovered deer on their land, especially if they hunt and it's a good buck.

I would venture to guess this is much more prevalent in Michigan because of the sheer number of landowners who hunt. Sad thing is, it tends to make the average joe public guy want to take a chance trespassing because he doesn't want anyone else retrieving "his" buck.......which unfortunately can happen once that landowner knows what's lying dead on his side of the fence.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Stanley wrote:I put up dummy stands on a couple of fence lines that border some of the spots I hunt. They bump up to leased ground and I don't want the guys leaching in.

I do this also, and I know a lot of others do too.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 pm

A light hearted comment....
We all want to be public land SLOB hunters!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”