Public/Private boundaries

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Public/Private boundaries

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:57 am

Spysar wrote:Am I the only one here that owns land bordered by public? I feel out numbered on this one.....

Does anyone who commented on this thread own any land that is huntable?

Yes! The biggest advantage of owning land that abuts public is not having to personally worry about that particular boundary and potentially having an advantageous access to the public piece. The biggest disadvantage is the line sitters, but I don't get angry with them unless they blatantly trespass. Yes, it sucks that I have the property expenses paid and the hard work and even more money into habitat improvements and food plots. But it is a necessary evil if you want the advantage of owning property that abuts public land. On a 40 acre piece, I would rather deal with a public land border than all private land borders with guys that are very possessive of the boundary. 40 acres feels pretty small when you can't hunt the edges.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:42 am

I see both sides of the argument but for me it comes down to if I know someone is hunting close to their private property line, I won't be hunting close to them due to I just normally stay away from other hunters. If there is no hunter than I'm hunting where I can't shoot into the private. In the past I've talked with the landowner about tracking a dead deer and they didn't have problem, but I also understand that this would probably be an isolated incident, especially if they are deer hunters also.
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:08 am

As a hunter, if I owned land that butted up against public I could see being a little jealous if John Doe killed a stud on the public side that I had seen and been hunting on my side, and it ran over and died on my land. As a respectuful hunter, I would not only allow them to track it down and recover it from my land, but I would assist them and give them a high five when we found it....To me, there is no difference in if the deer was shot 600 yards from my fence or shot while standing there about to actually jump the fence from the public ground to my land.

Maybe that's why I personally don't see anything wrong with setting up on public land close to a proprty line. It's rare that I do though, because I would like to avoid the possiblity of having the deer run onto private ground as best as I can. I'd just rather not have to try and track down a land owner to get permission to track a deer.

I do know one thing though, if I ever do get around to buying my own piece of hunting ground...it won't be anywhere near a piece of public ground just to avoid this kind of stuff all together.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:47 am

As public land hunters I'm sure we can all agree if we had a better option we would not be setting up close to private land. When you buy private land next to public you have to assume there will be some issues. If you don't like guys setting up next to your private then don't buy next to public.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:56 am

I can see both sides. I hunt private land and public land. The private irritates me because I often don't have access to hunt where I need to due to being land locked by other private. On public I can go anywhere but private. If I hunt close to a line, I wouldn't setup next to someone that has a permanent stand. Not that I wouldn't have that right but just out of safety. Not everyone practices gun safety and proper target identification. I entered one part of public this year just past some private land. I was a good 300 yards from any line. Directly after I walked in, I went down into a drainage creek. I could hear someone started firing pistol rounds above on the private. This made me uneasy. Now, it could have been somewhere other than the private land nearby but it sure didn't sound like it. I'm not sure if they were doing that to scare deer, or try to persuade me out, or what. If it came from private land, that's a very ignorant thing to do. As a public land hunter, sometimes good areas are next to a line. I have a decent place within 50 yards of a line. No one seems to hunt there though. If they did, I'd probably stay at least a hundred or more yards away.

As a private land owner, I can see the irritation of line sitters. If someone was right on my line, even looking away, knowing someone else is hunting the private, I think that is kind of tacky. Sure they have a right but it's just too close and as the private land owner I have a right to sit the line as well. So if the spot is killer, does both guys sit next to each other and hunt right there? Who yields? It's a tough question. If I was the public hunter, I'd probably back off the line and try to see where the deer are going or coming from.

Ack wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:Many landowners will not for any reason allow a recovered deer on their land, especially if they hunt and it's a good buck.

I would venture to guess this is much more prevalent in Michigan because of the sheer number of landowners who hunt. Sad thing is, it tends to make the average joe public guy want to take a chance trespassing because he doesn't want anyone else retrieving "his" buck.......which unfortunately can happen once that landowner knows what's lying dead on his side of the fence.

I don't know why someone would wanna keep someone else's deer. I really don't want a buck that I didn't kill. Unless that deer was shot on the private or the guy was being a jerk, I'd let them recover it too.
Master Chief

Unread postby Master Chief » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:04 pm

It depends. Mostly on what other people are doing. Whether it be the private landers or public.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:16 pm

There are a lot of hunters nowadays that don't hunt with the code of ethics a lot on this site do. I hear you Spy, you make some valid points.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Ack wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:Many landowners will not for any reason allow a recovered deer on their land, especially if they hunt and it's a good buck.

I would venture to guess this is much more prevalent in Michigan because of the sheer number of landowners who hunt. Sad thing is, it tends to make the average joe public guy want to take a chance trespassing because he doesn't want anyone else retrieving "his" buck.......which unfortunately can happen once that landowner knows what's lying dead on his side of the fence.

Been a Michigan public guy my whole life, jealousy brings out the best in people :lol: unfortunately seen it happen too often

goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:43 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:I have been very aware of property lines for entry and exit. That means not using their private BUT walking the line. Will that seem disrespectful to owners? Some? Just the guys with attitudes?

So you shouldn't have a problem if a private landowner walks right past your stand on his way to access a stand on his private thru the public???
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:51 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:I have been very aware of property lines for entry and exit. That means not using their private BUT walking the line. Will that seem disrespectful to owners? Some? Just the guys with attitudes?

So you should be o.k. with a private owner using the public to access a stand on his property even if he walks a trail past your stand to get there. Is that disrespectful????
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:32 am

Generally speaking, out on public ground we are not afforded the luxury of judging anothers movements and motives. Accept or move on.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I have areas like this and I hunt on the state side I like to give myself a 20-30 yard cushion. We talked to a conservation officer about this and how to go about tracking a deer that's been hit. His words were to ask private landowner his permission, if he denies contact local dnr and they will come and help retrieve deer. Landowner can't deny you access to retrieve you animal. But some will try. Luckily I've had the pleasure experience with landowners and they have all granted access to retrieve animal. Even had to promise to show on of the landowners the buck.

Just make sure that you know your state laws. I hunt two states and they couldn't be more different. In one state if it's not posted it is considered open to access; including hunting.

The other state I hunt requires written permission to hunt and permission is required to recover your deer; if refused you can call an EPO but they can be refused as well. There was a case a few years ago where a deer travelled onto private property and the property owner refused permission to the hunter and to the EPO. There was nothing that could be done legally and the deer was left to rot. When I hunt there I stay at least 100 yards from the property line and choose my shots carefully.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 pm

I'll start off by saying I don't own land so I can't say how I'd feel about it for sure.

My question to the landowners in this thread is what about the private/private borders? Do you give the same courtesy to your neighbor that you expect from the public hunter? You both own all the way to the border and are entitled to hunt to that border. Just wondering...
My opinion is public is public all the way to the border. I will hunt near the border, but believe it or not I will not shoot over the border. This actually happened to me once on some private I had access to. Across the fence was the biggest buck I've seen to date within slug range and I didn't even put the sights on him, just watched and hoped he'd come my way. He never did though.
And if the private owner wants to walk by me on public to get to his land, he can. It sure would suck, but it's public...

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:34 am

ZSV wrote:I'll start off by saying I don't own land so I can't say how I'd feel about it for sure.

My question to the landowners in this thread is what about the private/private borders? Do you give the same courtesy to your neighbor that you expect from the public hunter? You both own all the way to the border and are entitled to hunt to that border. Just wondering...
My opinion is public is public all the way to the border. I will hunt near the border, but believe it or not I will not shoot over the border. This actually happened to me once on some private I had access to. Across the fence was the biggest buck I've seen to date within slug range and I didn't even put the sights on him, just watched and hoped he'd come my way. He never did though.
And if the private owner wants to walk by me on public to get to his land, he can. It sure would suck, but it's public...

Yes always give the same respect to the neighbors until that respect is broken. Its usually not the neighbor directly who cause the problems but those they allow on their property either by lease or most of the time free permission.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:47 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Spysar wrote:Am I the only one here that owns land bordered by public? I feel out numbered on this one.....

Does anyone who commented on this thread own any land that is huntable?

Yes! The biggest advantage of owning land that abuts public is not having to personally worry about that particular boundary and potentially having an advantageous access to the public piece. The biggest disadvantage is the line sitters, but I don't get angry with them unless they blatantly trespass. Yes, it sucks that I have the property expenses paid and the hard work and even more money into habitat improvements and food plots. But it is a necessary evil if you want the advantage of owning property that abuts public land. On a 40 acre piece, I would rather deal with a public land border than all private land borders with guys that are very possessive of the boundary. 40 acres feels pretty small when you can't hunt the edges.

This topic hits home for me.. I owned a little over 40 acres in buffalo cty that had a crazy possessive (large) land owner to the west and public to the south. The rest of the boarders there was a river. I worked very hard and bought it when i was 24 and (was sick of the headache) sold it 8 yrs later in 2013. Nothing but problems. Trespassing, stolen cams and stands. Had somebody rip up my food plot with a 4 wheeler one year, just a lot of bad luck. Then in '13 I shot a very nice buck and it ran onto the possessive neighbors land and i was was told that i couldn't go get it!! I was (eventually) able to retrieve the buck later that night with the help of the game warden but my land was for sale a week later. All the bad just ruins what is supposed to be a good experience and i was paying quite a lot of money for all the trouble. I'm still looking to reinvest in land but learned a lot from that experience and haven't found what i'm looking for yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”