Public/Private boundaries

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seeds

Re: Public/Private boundaries

Unread postby seeds » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
May-39 wrote:FYI, in MI landowners post WAY beyond their legal boundaries routinely. In one spot it's posted 125 yards past the legal boundry.
I double checked with the USGS-GIS map coordinates then found the old fence in the leaves last spring. But 25-50 yards is typical...So if you are concerned about a particular parcel, call the USGS field office and ask. They won't accept liability but its nice to know you aren't a line sitter despite signs stating otherwise.
Just sayin

Spot on in this statement.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Many MANY landowners who border public land do this here too.

I avoid sitting between the actual line and the 'No Trespassing' sign when it's 100' or so. It's one reason I scout right up to the line - I'm looking for stands or other hunting evidence. I don't want to sit right near someone else. Ever.

Had one guy this season come out and tell me I was trespassing. I had paper plat map copies in my pack. He was furious...but also claimed he owned 160 acres when the county map showed I was well away from his 120 acre property...But what to do - my hunt was already over once the yelling started.

I know when that property opened and when it was surveyed. I know for a fact that some of the survey markers were moved two weeks later....on a weekend.

I know of several entire public parcels that are posted...and often neighboring landowners remove the public land signs to further cloud the boundary. Often it's the big property owners - hundreds of acres - that are "stealing" an additional 20 or 40 acres. One even told me it was because "the public" hunters would ruin a doe bedding area for gun season. He has tower stands overlooking a large redbrush-and-willow bedding area that is clearly on public - there's a river as the boundary.

I've also seen "No Hunting' signs posted along an imaginary line away from the property line. It's like bird watchers are welcome to use the land but they're trying to keep hunters away.

IMO,they're stealing public land. They use it exclusively (or try to) and they justify it by saying it's the only to keep those lowlife trespassers off their land. But - again,imo - they're as bad or worse than trespassers.

Most counties in WI have an online plat map database. I heard of a GPS/GIS phone app. but I still have a flip phone.

My personal take is to stay legal and avoid confrontation. Sometimes that means I walk past signs. Sometimes it means I give wide berth to a property line and let the neighboring landowner keep "our" public land to himself. Depends.

And it also means I go thru a lot of color printer cartridges.

THink this is a peeve of mine? lol

(edit) some counties plat/GIS maps are easier to use than others but at least here in WI,I believe 70 of our 72 counties have an online plat map database available for free. If you hunt numerous small properties learning your way around those sites is a must...I'm sure some other states also have similar databases available to the public...

And more widespread use of any GPS/GIS phone ap should greatly reduce landowners "stealing" portions of our public lands.

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:43 am

(edit) some counties plat/GIS maps are easier to use than others but at least here in WI,I believe 70 of our 72 counties have an online plat map database available for free. If you hunt numerous small properties learning your way around those sites is a must...I'm sure some other states also have similar databases available to the public...

This link makes it easy to find whatever county in Wisconsin. http://coastal.lic.wisc.edu/wisconsin-i ... in-ims.htm
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I would line hunt on public/private boundaries. I would not line hunt on private/private boundaries, unless the neighbor and I had a mutual agreement. Its not that I dont have respect for the private landowner, its that they have the advantage of access to all the public from their land. Plus they can ride an atv all the way to the line if they wanted to. It may take us public land hunters hours to walk to that spot from the parking lot. Plus they can hunt anywhere they want on the public and their own private.

I grew up in Illinois and there are public spots in Illinois that are a gun lottery to the residents. Therefore the residents are getting denied to gun hunt on public in their own state. Some of these guys do not have permission to hunt private. But when you walk the public land boundary you see gun stands right on the private/public line. The private landowners who get landowner tags and are not limited by a lottery to a site specific piece of public are hunting the lines. And you cant tell me they arent shooting deer on the public and dragging them back to their house or cabin. Why else would they be hunting on the public line when they own private land?

But after all that said, do know that line hunting will someday lead to a "run in" with the landowner eventually. Know what your going to do or say. I heard a landowner beat a trespasser to death in pepin county and we all know what happened in northern WI couple years ago when all those hunters were shot. People can get pretty funny when it comes to something they are passionate about, like whitetails.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:26 am

I hunted on the public boundary there was a nice buck that kept following a rub line after getting up from his bed. He was bedded on private and feeding in public. Didn't get him but did see him in pine thicket edge.
We have private landowners post several hundred acres of public near where I hunt.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:21 pm

At xmas this year my uncle told me he found public land out west that was posted as private. The guy even approached him and tried to kick him off the land. He refused and called him out... the guy had a b.s. excuse that he had a deal with the gov't. :lol: My uncle said he didn't even turn him in... "Why turn him in? He's keeping almost everyone else off of that prime piece of public!" pretty smart on my uncles part. He's definitely playing the game.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Why would you mark boundary line at the creek when the little white dnr sign is 80 yards away and in sight???????

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:31 pm

I agree with the others, $30 for a plat of survey book laminate copies of the property and keep it in your pack. I've hunted within 30 yards but my preference is to be able to recover them on the public so I'd prefer 75 yards and wait for the slam dunk shot.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 pm

I am the guy that owns the private land that borders public.

If you deliberately set a stand in range of my property, it's gonna pisz me off....and make it so nobody gets the deer there. :angry-devil:

Now there's nothing I can do if it's over the border, but people gotta use their heads when they set up......
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm

I had an issue with a private land owner claiming a piece of public marsh as his own. I called the dnr warden after this land owner screamed at me during gun season for being on "his" property. That property was marked with dnr signs within two weeks and the land owner was warned their harassing hunters. I wouldn't hesitate to call the dnr again

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Spysar wrote:I am the guy that owns the private land that borders public.

If you deliberately set a stand in range of my property, it's gonna pisz me off....and make it so nobody gets the deer there. :angry-devil:

Now there's nothing I can do if it's over the border, but people gotta use their heads when they set up......

In the same aspect that private landowners cuss out public hunters for sitting on the line, in my area I actually see more of the opposite. I hunt lots of public, and also have permission for private ground. I have gun rights to ONE piece of private land (80 acres). It's very open but holds good bucks. First day of shotgun and muzzy season, there are hunters sitting within FEET of the East and West borders. It drives me nuts but I let them hunt... I understand what its like to be the public land hunter drooling over all the deer aimlessly walking around on the private land next to you. Knowing both sides, the thing that bothers me most is the private landowner setting up 3" from the public border taking away legit opportunities for the public guy to hunt when he's got 200 acres to himself behind him. :naughty: I am involved with both sides. I encroach and let others encroach. The way I see it, as long as everything is legal, we're all hunters trying to take a deer and have a good time doing what we love to do. Keep it legal, good luck, and wish others the same 8-)
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:43 am

There's numerous parcels of publiuc land where EVERYTHING is within range of private land.

Man up,Spysar,and voluntarily pay the taxes on the land you're claiming. Write a contribution to your state's DNR. Then and only then can you claim any kind of twisted moral righteousness.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:03 am

seeds wrote:

There's numerous parcels of publiuc land where EVERYTHING is within range of private land.

Man up,Spysar,and voluntarily pay the taxes on the land you're claiming. Write a contribution to your state's DNR. Then and only then can you claim any kind of twisted moral righteousness.

What's wrong with you?

I own land. I pay heavy taxes in NY to do so. If you don't own land , then shut up.

Where did I say I was "claiming land"???

Where is the public land that is only 40 yards by 40 yards, so if you sit in the middle "everything" is in range???

Your statement is ridiculous.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:25 am

You are disallowing the use of PUBLIC land BY THE PUBLIC. You are claiming exclusive deer hunting rights on PUBLIC land

You are NOT respecting the property lines. You have no more right to claim exclusive use of that land than I have.

And yes,I pay property taxes. If ALL the public land claimed by neighboring property owners had taxes paid on it,my tax bill would be lower....yes it would be a tiny amount but there are thousands and thousands of acres "claimed' by neighboring property owners.

The only reason I respect those property lines THAT THE NEIGHBORING OWNER DOES NOT - is because I AM morally superior to those slimeball land thieves.

You have abdicated your right to any moral superiority when you catch a trespasser on your land.

If you own 100 acres you have rights to 100 acres. Nothing more.

I know of one particular 40 acre parcel. The neighbor owns 11. The 40 is trapped between his parcel,a freeway and a river....I've spoken with "Chuck" He screams the same "I pay property taxes" as if that justifies theft. Then he goes on to say how "the public" are a bunch of stand-thieving lowlifes who would otherwise trespass if he didn't "overpost" his land.

You have no legal or moral right to claim public land. Period.

Thief.

(edit) Range...Bow range?,or gun range....I know another parcel that if "he" sees a hunter approach the woodlot he'll scare you out...Gun range.

It doesn't matter how big a chunk of land,you're claiming exclusive rights to PUBLIC land. Are you better than "Chuck",who claims a 40? Why?

Or...off the top of my head...Dempsey,who claims a 40,Kellog who claims 26,Dillon who claims a 20...Or Porter who says he's fine with the public using the 240 until he's got his crops in. It used to be family land,he'll hunt it like it's family land. It's not his fault his uncle got into some trouble and it had to be sold...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:39 am

Listen seeds, don't call me a thief.....

My border is posted, the state land is posted.

I'm not claiming public land to be my own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The public guy is entitled to the public. ONLY!!

I'm entitled to BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can hunt the border if I want because I'm entitled to all that land.

If you set up on the border, facing my land, you are hunting my land. And that's irritating.

And "chuck" doesn't have to let you cross his land to get to a landlocked 40 of public, end of story.....Boat to it, or park on the freeway.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:42 am

In my case the public land is huge, 5000 + acres, and my land is the small piece. There is no need for the public guy to hunt the line.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”