Public Land - Overwhelmed

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Public Land - Overwhelmed

Unread postby headgear » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:36 am

checkerfred wrote:
What makes it hard to figure out, is there are 8-11 different points there they could bed on. I figure take out 2-3 that are close to the road since it's more open woods...so there's 6-9 that could be good bedding points...without going in seems like it's a crap shoot. We're supposed to have some rain this weekend...I wonder about scouting/stalk hunting that area in the rain. Then I wouldn't leave much if any scent.

You might have to make some educated guesses, or setup and see if you can cover 2 or more points. A lot depends on how big of an area we are talking. The only way to learn and know for sure is to scout it the best you can and hunt it and go from there. Look for beds on the points, some spots might be better than others. You might have to loop out of the way and climb a steep hill to make the access so he can't smell you. Don't take shortcuts and hunt it like there is a mature buck out there every sit. Also don't overhunt it, just 2-3 sits a season or he will catch on.

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Public Land - Overwhelmed

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks headgear! Appreciate the input. This public land is huge! 180k acres...majority is hills like you see... Points everywhere.... I could hunt a different spot every day of hunting season... This spring in really gonna put in the scouting effort

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”