Illegal stands on public land.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Illegal stands on public land.

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:35 am

So how do the rest of you deal with stands left up on public land? I am talking where it isn't legal to leave them up overnight. I got into one of my pre-scouted spots yesterday, took a long time getting in quiet and 75 yards from "my" tree was a huge bait pile and a ladder stand. I called the area warden last night, I will turn in every one I find and not feel bad about it.

Zap

Re: Illegal stands on public land.

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:40 am

What stand?

:P
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:05 am

ok then.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 am

Zap wrote:What stand?

:P

X2!
trophyhusband

Unread postby trophyhusband » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:19 am

I personally wouldn't complain about stands but would report the baiting and leave the area

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:09 pm

So most of you would not report it? So what constitutes something being important enough to get involved?
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Take it down for them. Leave it at the base of the tree with a note, "next time the stand will be gone", or " the warden had been called". Then move on.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 pm

What would you think if you walked up to a tree and saw someone talking your stand down?

:think:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Zap wrote:What would you think if you walked up to a tree and saw someone [glow=red]talking[/glow] your stand down?

:think:

I would have a serious issue with someone "talking" my stand down! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I agree, no way you would think someone was doing a good deed and taking it down to leave a note.

As for what would constitute me calling in a violation.... knowing the phone call would be all that's required, and that something would actually happen about the violation.

What if the stand wasn't 75 yards next to "your" tree, would you have been so upset? I think the bait would've bothered me more than a stand being left.
trophyhusband

Unread postby trophyhusband » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:So most of you would not report it? So what constitutes something being important enough to get involved?

you are not going to gain anything by reporting it. Maybe the hunter comes back mad, or the wardens are there looking for problems. Just be thankful for the info and find another spot

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

trophyhusband wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:So most of you would not report it? So what constitutes something being important enough to get involved?

you are not going to gain anything by reporting it. Maybe the hunter comes back mad, or the wardens are there looking for problems. [glow=red]Just be thankful for the info and find another spot[/glow]

My thoughts exactly... knowing your area has been compromised, scented up and over pressured. You wont be wasting time there now.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I have reported a couple. Mainly ones that are left up year round. Walked past many many more. I wish more people would report them. It would probably give the wardens a better idea of where to keep an eye on for illegal activities even if they dont have time to take the stands down.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:06 pm

This is a catch 22. If you don't report a violation it encourages violations. If you report the violation it may get rid of a slob hunter. Last year I came across a ladder stand left on state land with bait 20 yds from it. Bait is ilegal in Washington co. It was 30 yds from where I was going to hunt so I took GPS and called the warden . Warden called back and never caught the guy. I gave up on the whole area from Aholes like that. Today I drove down to the parking lot where almost all the hunters park and walk in. One truck there , 2 or 3 butchered deer right there with the hide left with it. ( what a waste, Fleet gives 3 bucks for them and a great part of the deer gets used.) Earlier this fall there were at least 6 young coons laying there dead right in the turn around. Last year there were at least 20 skinned coons laying right there. SHould be a 5,000 dallor fine for that crap. This really soures the area when slobs use the area.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Unless I have solid proof illegal activity is occurring, No DNR or cops are necessary. I careless and move on. You are ticked that someone is hunting "your" spot. Let it be and move to the next area.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm not going to take anyones stand down, I don't touch property that isn't mine. Yes this would have pissed me off even had it not been near the tree I hunted. I report them even on land that I don't deer hunt on. Last spring I reported 4 on public land I was turkey hunting on. Those stands were taken down by the DNR within a week as I was back in there when they did it. The warden told me he would be watching for this guy. He thinks it's the neighboring land owner as he has had this problem with him before. Neighboring landowners that think they own the public land next to their land are the worst kind of slob hunter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”