Publi Land Beast Hunt - Need Input!!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

Publi Land Beast Hunt - Need Input!!

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 am

[url][URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/bowhunter345/media/CoveRd_zpsad165a5c.png.html]Image[/URL

Ok so I need some input on a beast hunt I want to do on this public piece. The lower parking lot in the picture I at the bottom of a very steep hillside. If you follow the bottom white line (trail) from that parking lot it goes straight up the bank and hooks west and goes all the way to the clear cut. The trail is very overgrown now and has some huge puddles with sign all around. As you go up the hill I found what appears to be a large deer bed but no clear sign one has been using it. SIDE NOTE: The steep hill is actually a little lower than the pink arrows on the map.
Within 100 yards of that deer bed I found a few VERY large deer tracks! I also jumped a doe in the same area. I would like to hunt this area once in the near future and I'm thinking of approaching from the upper road (white line). There are lots of farm fields below and tons of thick cover but I haven't been able to scout this area other than walking the lower logging road.
I would like input on when to hunt this area, which winds may work and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PK_
500 Club

Re: Publi Land Beast Hunt - Need Input!!

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:50 pm

If you are not sure where all the deer are bedding I would keep the wind in your face, hunt it, see what you see and go from there.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
RidgeReaper

Re: Public Land Beast Hunt - Need Input!!

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:23 am

I tried that tactic on another property in a great spot and seen a few in the am but nothing after 10 am. I had a North wind and thought maybe I could pattern some movement from a distance but for some reason the wind was blowing steady toward the west and into the area I thought they were bedded so that may explain the not seeing any.
The area pictured I feel I may only have one good shot at the huge buck I know lives there. The area is heavily hunted after bow season and may get light to moderate action during archery.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Is there anyone else that has input on this? I may try this hunt on Saturday.

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Is there anyone else that has input on this? I may try this hunt on Saturday.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:06 am

Can you post a topo?

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:26 am

Yes I will asap

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:42 am

[img][IMG]http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p718/bowhunter345/coverd2_zps11e0a734.png[/img][/img]

Ok backstraps here is the topo image. Its a hybrid image and its kind of zoomed out too far but its the best I could do right now. The red lines are access trails from the parking (pink dots). The little blue dot looks like an old buck bed along the logging road. The green dots are my possible best stand sites. I've never been in this area more than a rapid scout on the lower road. I'll have a WSW wind switchin W and then to WNW in the evening. Any input on a good setup for morning anyone?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:08 pm

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks for reposting the actual image. I still haven't figured out how to do it on here altogether. I got it once but it didn't work right this time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:24 pm

bowhunter345 wrote:Thanks for reposting the actual image. I still haven't figured out how to do it on here altogether. I got it once but it didn't work right this time.

No problem. If you click on the link you posted.... on the right hand side where the "share links" is....click the bottom link. It will automatically copy the link for you. Then when you are posting on the forum, just paste the link.

As for your maps.. really hard to see what you are looking at. But the upper two green dots you chose in my opinion would be for a south wind, and too high in elevation on that side.

The red dot you posted, I like its location due to it being on a transition line. I know others will chime in, but if it were me, I would consider having a stand on my back. I would scout some of the transition lines and be ready to setup on fresh sign.

Sorry couldn't be any help.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:31 pm

Everything is a help! The red dot is along a cutover from about 4 years ago. Its very thick now and the woods aren't much different in that area. Would that be OK for a WSW in the am perhaps? Or better for an evening?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”