semi blind public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trophyhusband

semi blind public

Unread postby trophyhusband » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:46 am

One of my favorite things to do is hunt public land and even more so public land on the fly with little first hand info. It's just fun even though success is limited. This site, in my opinion,is more about mobility than anything else, or atleast the part that has helped me the most. Anyways looking for some advice or maybe just a basic poll. If or when you go into public land with a limited time window, say 7 days during November how long do you give an area to produce? You find a few spots on the maps go in and it's 1 pm the first day and you have seen zero deer, do you move, walk and look for hot sign, stick it out all day?

I am kinda of the mindset that burning 1 day could save you 3. I like to get into where I think will be good, hunt it and if sign or sightings are limited I dumped it and risk spooking new areas by walking with my stand and sticks and setup if I find sign or lose the day and the spot and start again the next day.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: semi blind public

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:21 am

trophyhusband wrote:One of my favorite things to do is hunt public land and even more so public land on the fly with little first hand info.

One of my favorites too.

In a new area, if its during hunting season I will keep walking till i find definite fresh buck sign and then gravitate towards something that looks like bedding. If its a fresh scrape on a transition that looks like it could hold bedding i have set up stand on the spot. I am guilty of pushing too close to bedding instead of sitting back and observing an area.

7 straight days of hunting in november? I wouldnt consider that limited time, i would call that heaven :D
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:31 am

agreed...fresh sign is key... I like fresh poop

if i sat in an area without seeing anything and have fresh poop ....its likely a wind issue, they're smelling me.....so then you have to decide - do i look for more poop? or move in the area i'm in. depends upon the wind, is it going to remain the same??
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
trophyhusband

Unread postby trophyhusband » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:24 pm

7 days straight isn't limited I guess lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:05 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
trophyhusband wrote:One of my favorite things to do is hunt public land and even more so public land on the fly with little first hand info.

One of my favorites too.

In a new area, if its during hunting season I will keep walking till i find definite fresh buck sign and then gravitate towards something that looks like bedding. If its a fresh scrape on a transition that looks like it could hold bedding i have set up stand on the spot. I am guilty of pushing too close to bedding instead of sitting back and observing an area.

7 straight days of hunting in November? I wouldn't consider that limited time, i would call that heaven :D

What he said!

In hill country I sometimes find a down tree and use it as a natural blind. I carry a folding saw in case I need to trim a few branches. I call it my nest.
I have an area now with 3 spots like this. If I need to I will still hunt from one nest to another. I usually do this later in the gun season when I get tired of packing a climber
and want to keep it simple.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”