Midwest States with bowhunting only public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

May-39

Midwest States with bowhunting only public

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Is anyone aware of a database of Midwest states with bowhunting only areas. Not limited draw park hunts.
I know they exist in Missouri.
If I could compare some states and their areas on maps (size/habitat/proximity to large populations etc) that would be a big factor in trip consideration.
The only areas out of MO I know of are draw hunts in IL parks. Kinda hard to dedicate leave time and drive time hoping to be drawn.

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Midwest States with bowhunting only public

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Well I was going to say MO, but your aware of that already. Have you hunted the archery only in MO?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:07 pm

The date bases are often not caught up. I know a spot in Iowa that just opened up to the public a few months ago. Bow only, I just checked it out. Some county ground never gets put into the data bases for state ground.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm

I know MN has a few archery only areas but the word on the street is that they ironically get far more pressure than normal public land because people think no guns=less hunters.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:30 pm

The Illinois draw is April 1 after accepting applications in March. It gives you time to plan, better than MO who draws in September. No separate tag like MO either. OTOH MO has good bow areas away from big cities.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 am

62kodiak wrote:I know MN has a few archery only areas but the word on the street is that they ironically get far more pressure than normal public land because people think no guns=less hunters.

I've hunted a couple, bucks to be had but the pressure is far greater than the usual public ground I hunt.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 am

Kansas has some bow only open access public. Its not on many maps and is primarily on the corps managed land around the reservoirs or lakes.

Then we also have "walk in" hunting areas that are archery and shotshell only.

But with a mid December gun season it is all archery deer for rut.

Two week muzzleloader in September and a two day doe only gun season in October.

Crossbows are legal for archery.. :P
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 am

headgear wrote:
62kodiak wrote:I know MN has a few archery only areas but the word on the street is that they ironically get far more pressure than normal public land because people think no guns=less hunters.

I've hunted a couple, bucks to be had but the pressure is far greater than the usual public ground I hunt.

Yes! I can attest to this

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Higgins-Henry (sp?) In west Ky is bow only.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 am

Justin85 wrote:
headgear wrote:

Yes! I can attest to this

Is that a fair assessment? Seems like pressure is lower in the northern half of the state, and higher in the southern half and close to the cities. When I think MN these days, I only consider the southern half.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:49 am

Thanks and some of my hunches have been answered.
I have not hunted MO. Was considering that and/Kansas. I have hunted corp ground in KY and that is all season/weapon in KY. Hunted small forgotten/overlooked riverbottom pieces in NE with success as well.

I wondered if Archery only may receive more pressure in the reverse phsychology that others have mentioned. Everyone thinks it's less pressure and goes there..

I will call biologists in couple states and ask if they can provide Bow Only areas. I'm still going to focus on my need waders/boat or helicopter to get there standard that works for me.

Thanks
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Land between the Lakes in West KY. LBL runs from KY down in to TN. On the KY side it is archery only except for a 2day quota rifle hunt and a 2 day rifle youth hunt. So only gun hunted 4 days of the season.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Stanley wrote:The date bases are often not caught up. I know a spot in Iowa that just opened up to the public a few months ago. Bow only, I just checked it out. Some county ground never gets put into the data bases for state ground.

I would like to find a place like that in zone seven.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:52 pm

"Some county ground never gets put into the data bases for state ground."

I have found that to be true nearly everywhere including Kansas. Plat books are still a great asset. How I found a small river bottom parcel in NE was basically a drainage ditch and delta where it joined river. Awesome.
Thanks for input!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”