Confrontation waiting to happen or just a nosy neighbor?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Confrontation waiting to happen or just a nosy neighbor?

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 am

PLB wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Unfortunately this is now a part of public land hunts. The small parcels especially. These guys are trying to protect their land. Some just don't have the people skills to carry out an adult convo about property lines.
Some of course try to claim the public as theirs too. That's usuAlly nota fun convo to have either

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2!!

:think: :think: :think: :think: sounds like the encounter I had last Thursday night on public :roll:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
boostedprozac

Unread postby boostedprozac » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am

They said I had complains about my avatar. Hmmm whatever. But no it wasn't those counties. Was in pierce I believe. First time there with my friend.

2016 Elite E32 | Lonewolf | Beast Sticks | Sitka
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:30 am

boostedprozac wrote:They said I had complains about my avatar. Hmmm whatever. But no it wasn't those counties. Was in pierce I believe. First time there with my friend.

It wouldn't surprise me in Pierce. That is where I am from and still do the majority of my hunting. we have land there, but I have friends that have had problems on the VPA land.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 am

I know where some VPA land is that had been sold this year, taken out of the program, but the VPA signs are still up. I can see where this can create some issues. Not sure who is in charge of putting up and taking down those signs. I hate to have to consult with the DNR and Forestry office to MAKE SURE the properties Im stepping on is still open to public recreation. We as hunters shouldn't have to double check or question these things IMO. Property marked as VPA, MFL, or FCL should never be out dated, and confused. And, its never fun to have confrontations with property owners. This needs to be a hot topic in the next annual DNR meetings.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Best thing is to just agree with the guy and go do what you gotta do. If he has a problem he can call the authorities. Confrontations should be avoided at all costs.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am

First I will say kudos to you for not escalating the situation. Sounds like he wasn't the most reasonable or logical person, if you had responded more aggressively it would just turned into a pointless yelling match or fight. As others have mentioned you are not alone, I have had similar encounters. The key is to remain civil like you did, keep someone talking and they always settle down no matter how fired up they are at first. I wouldn't have told him as many details of the hit deer etc as you did but glad it worked out for you guys.
boostedprozac

Unread postby boostedprozac » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm

I haven't been back but prior to accessing the land, we did call the DNR guy that works the area. I always call the DNR and VPA owner before entering just to ask questions. Most of the time they give me great info. It was probably just a guy protecting "his" spots. I did find a few hang-ons in the property and just over on private. Seems like the deers like to travel through this parcel and not his. But that was the end of it. We got a deer and have not gone back since for others we've seen. I'm not confrontational so I just give them the benefit of the doubt and move on.
2016 Elite E32 | Lonewolf | Beast Sticks | Sitka
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:22 am

I avoid all confrontation,to the point that one of my "mantras" is to act like a trespasser but never trespass.

A few years ago I got into a confrontation over her dogs. I saw "highly aggressive" german shepherds that cornered me and were growling and barking,she said my unexpected presence scared them nearly to death..

When she finally called them off and started walking away,I asked if she didn't at least think she owed me an apology. I got a "F-U" in response. Ya,I said a couple or so choice things too...but when she headed back to the parking area it dawned on me that my truck was unlocked....Headed back there,locked my doors then wrote down her car's licence plate numbers. That's when the little revolver came out..

Screaming,waving the gun,lots of nice insults (some I didn't even understand,turns out they're stock les. putdowns for straight males)...Two full grown german shepherds and she has to threaten me with a handgun?

Anyway,if possible I try to just fade into the woods nowdays.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:35 am

I've encountered the same thing in MI. There is a parcel near my home that was just enrolled in our version of same program. It had marsh, so I'm going to check it out. Landowner is senior lady who lives on site. I stopped one evening in nice clothes and asked/advised that I would like to come out and walk it and check it out. Where should I park etc (not marked)
Well I find sign that it's flooded with hunters or at least ladder stands (in July). No big buck sign etc. So I come back in Sept. Her 20 something nephew is visiting, his truck is replete with monster drink stickers and rack decals..he sees me walking by and proceeds to let his rottweiler and other large mix dog out to follow me around and bark and growl all over the parcel. I just laughed.
Came back one more time, notice his truck is parked at crappy place near the drive. I'm out in the woods and here come the dogs.
Reported it to C.O. and moved on. No big deer sign/area that I found anyway so not coming back.

Conversly, a pal has an 80 very, very well marked up north that is surrounded by this CFA land. Other side of road is large hunt club. Very well marked and patrolled by members daily. It's amazing how many people park right in front of his no tresppasing signs and walk right in..Mushroom season is the worst..I mean like out of state plates, not the local dirtbag that knows you arent there. Unreal.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:41 am

The older I get the less I like people. What is sad is that I am not very old. Nor was I ever very find of people in the first place. .

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:36 am

PalmettoKid wrote:The older I get the less I like people. What is sad is that I am not very old. Nor was I ever very find of people in the first place. .

I agree..
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm with you two. And I have three little kids. I gotta kill something soon...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:10 pm

A nosey anybody is a confrontation waiting to happen.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”