How many Years?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many years have you hunted public land?

Rarely or Never
11%
1 year
4%
1 to 5 years
15%
more than 5 years
No votes
more than 10 years
7%
more than 15 years
7%
more than 20 years
56%

Total votes: 27
fishlips
500 Club

Re: How many Years?

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I have consistently been hunting public the last 10 years. I would say over that time span, 80% of my hunting has been on public. Very fun to hunt and very rewarding when you have success.

TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Ive been hunting public land in around the city's and SE MN for 17 years a lot pressure where I hunt.My grandpa got me hooked when I was 12 and didn't start bow hunting until I was 17 and now that's all I do now is bow hunt
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Ive hunted public for the last 10 years, but never exclusively. Very pressured areas. In 2011 I only hunted public one time, but killed my biggest public land buck that year
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Fixed the poll
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Never owned or leased land in my life...

Although in NH if it is not posted it is open for hunting!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 am

Public and private in Ohio, PA, and even WV for 30 years. I would say I have hunted public land in 15 of those 30.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 am

Been hunting public land in mid Michigan for 20 years this year. A sense of pride in hunting pressured whitetails and outsmarting them has always made my season both enjoyable and aggravating lol. My grandfather was a stump setter, my father a trend setter, and I became the obsessed. My father and I game plan every season and scout very hard. In my earlier years we set out to kill basket racked bucks. Then we upped the game and started chasing age class and its been on like donkey kong ever since. This will be my daughters first season this year and I'm excited to bring another generation into hunting. My father and I started hunting over bait when we first started and we had success killing many deer. But we wanted to learn their behaviors and habits and get away from baiting and kill them with our knowledge of there patterns. We started hunting cattail marshes and nasty tag alders and thickets and we seen a huge difference in quality of deer. Then in search of other hunters that did what we do and hunt with methods we also practiced, my dad stumbled along this site and we have been hooked ever since. The knowledge and wisdom at this sight is second to no one. I really is like a huge family. It's shared and respected. I've read so many stories of guys helping each other kill there target bucks and fill in the missing pieces, and that's not something I would associate with today's hunters! But this group is that exception.

OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 am

OH nontypical wrote:Public and private in Ohio, PA, and even WV for 30 years. I would say I have hunted public land in 15 of those 30.

My original post was cut off on my i phone. Pressure is always high during gun season. Much lower during archery season...
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 am

ive been hunting public well over 20 years. when I get on some private land its feels like im cheating. :lol:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Been hunting public land in mid Michigan for 20 years this year. A sense of pride in hunting pressured whitetails and outsmarting them has always made my season both enjoyable and aggravating lol. My grandfather was a stump setter, my father a trend setter, and I became the obsessed. My father and I game plan every season and scout very hard. In my earlier years we set out to kill basket racked bucks. Then we upped the game and started chasing age class and its been on like donkey kong ever since. This will be my daughters first season this year and I'm excited to bring another generation into hunting. My father and I started hunting over bait when we first started and we had success killing many deer. But we wanted to learn their behaviors and habits and get away from baiting and kill them with our knowledge of there patterns. We started hunting cattail marshes and nasty tag alders and thickets and we seen a huge difference in quality of deer. [glow=red]Then in search of other hunters that did what we do and hunt with methods we also practiced, my dad stumbled along this site and we have been hooked ever since. The knowledge and wisdom at this sight is second to no one. I really is like a huge family. It's shared and respected. I've read so many stories of guys helping each other kill there target bucks and fill in the missing pieces, and that's not something I would associate with today's hunters! But this group is that exception.[/glow]

Believe you have the right perspective, look forward to your addition to the discussions.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:22 pm

This is an old thread so thought I would update that this season will be my 30th year hunting 100% public land.

Just realized I'm getting old! :doh:

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 am

I voted 15+ years. But only about 40% of my hunting has been on public land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”