trails trails trails

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Justin85

trails trails trails

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:44 am

So I've been pouring over the maps looking to find some places for in season scouting in central and northern MN. I had envisioned vast north wood expanses likely to never see a human.

After pouring over the maps and looking at a lot of the larger tracts of public land, it appears that there are trails EVERYWHERE.

Maybe the terrain holds trails well with minimal maintenance or traffic. Just seems like a ton of human activity in even the largest areas....even the ones designated as swampy/wet.

Am I missing something or are these trails ridden a lot?

Not used to seeing so much human activity in the center of 30,000ac.

Just trying to narrow down areas to check since that's a couple hours drive.

How do you guys cyber scout the human element when time is precious and distance is a factor?

I know nothing substitutes boots to the ground and I'll do all I can this season and then certainly post season. Right now my scouting will be with a stand on my back. Just amazed at all the trails through what would seem like the middle of nowhere.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: trails trails trails

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Pretty much every where gets human pressure in Wisconsin. I don't think its as much about getting deep as it going somewhere others over look or won't go... Wet swamps are some of the best areas cause most people won't cross water and deer love water barriers for protection.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 pm

These look like they cut through swamps. Granted I haven't had a chance to check it out on foot yet. I have a tough time judging what I see in the north country up there on aerials vs down here in central and southern MN....as its terrain I'm accustomed to.

62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Depending how far north you are looking I wouldn't worry about bowhunting pressure. I have hunted up in the savannah state forest for about the last ten years and I have very rarely ever seen any sign of other bowhunters. I have never ran into one. Now firearm season is another story. Them north woods turn orange during gun season. Almost all of the trails I have ran across up north have been four wheeler trails for gun season.

That's my two cents, but I am sure that Bigwoods and headgear can be far more help to you. Good luck, them bigwoods are a LOT bigger when you get there. I have seen quite a few whoppers up there though.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:37 am

Just try and find spots that don't get hunted, they may seem non traditional, but I've seen my best bucks in those spots, could be 10 miles in, or 200 yards. The key is to avoid the people, you should be able to make an educated guess on what 99 percent of the folks will do with a Ariel and topo map.

Cross all them off and see what your left with, might be noting or a few honey holes. I have never, never seen a big public land buck in the so called traditional hunting spots. Seen some nice ones but not big daddy.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27 am

Dont worry about the trails.. we have em all over too.. most people are scared to explore n dont get off to far from the main trail... my best stand is 20 yrdd off a human trail... in 15 yrs of hunting it ive only seen a handful of guys walk down it.. its very deep in and 4 turns off the main path...

HEADHUNTER

Unread postby HEADHUNTER » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:39 am

Are you sure they are all human trails? They may be game trails, I know with the high definition images on google earth can easily pick up deer trails. If you find a high spot in a marsh you will usually see a "wheel hub & spoke" effect created by deer seeking out the higher ground. Only one way to find out.
HEADHUNTER
"The thrill of the kill is in the chase"
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:07 am

A lot of them are human. You can see the vegetation matted down in two tracks like ATV....or perfect straight lines.

I have seen the deer trails you speak of.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:08 am

I live up in Virginia Mn. for a year and found a lot of trails much like you mentioned. They ended up being snowmobile trails. Where i was there wasn't anyone using them on foot for the most part.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:10 am

cbay wrote:I live up in Virginia Mn. for a year and found a lot of trails much like you mentioned. They ended up being snowmobile trails. Where i was there wasn't anyone using them on foot for the most part.

That's what I have since found out. Going to start scouring the maps again.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

If you can, trace all the paths with a bold, red line and overlay that over your map to see what you are left with. It really helps when trying to see the big picture.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 am

I hunt a lot of land in central and northern MN, most of the trails will be from logging and most of that is done in the winter. Once they ground is frozen they can get just about anywhere. During the hunting season I like to find areas that are walk in only, so too wet for atvs. Look for those areas and you should be fine, it might depend on how much standing water is on the trails as well. Some years I have company way back if they can drive in, other years I have several square miles to myself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”