scouting methods public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: scouting methods public land

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:56 am

GreatWhiteOak wrote:Was just checking out the post cuz I too am hunting a new piece of public land this year . And I gotta some good ideas form all of you for things I will do as well. Just wanted to say thanks even though it wasn't my post. One can learn a lot from everyone. I've told some buddy's at work about this site I think they're gonna join.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Thanks! 8-)

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:59 am

Justin,
I find illegal bait sites like that multiple times every year around here. I usually smile rather than get mad... Its better to know where the others are hunting then to guess or run into them near your hunt destination.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:22 pm

I would go ahead and scout the spots you are 'iffy' about, if they pan out, perhaps save them for late season so they have time to 'cool down'. Leave the ones you are almost positive will be holding and hunt them blind. If you mess up by going in blind you will know for next year.

IDK, just a thought...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:41 pm

I can believe an observation stand is a great tool but think people will look at me like i'm nuts. We ARE nuts right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:13 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I can believe an observation stand is a great tool but think people will look at me like i'm nuts. We ARE nuts right?

Personally, I have never been accused of being sane.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:52 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I can believe an observation stand is a great tool but think people will look at me like i'm nuts. We ARE nuts right?

Sane hunters rarely kill bucks :lol:

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:10 am

dan wrote:Justin,
I find illegal bait sites like that multiple times every year around here. I usually smile rather than get mad... Its better to know where the others are hunting then to guess or run into them near your hunt destination.

After I thought about it, I looked at it like this.

I must say, your video on YouTube about hanging your stand has totally changed my way of thinking, although I've always been a little aggressive when it comes to bedding, but generally more so later in the year when they've been pressured a lot and move less during day light. Ordered the DVD a few days ago. Can't wait to check it out.

Hunting out of the west metro of the twin cities has me intrigued.

I was originally looking for promising looking public land as far as deer production goes. It wasn't u til last night after reading through your stuff and watching a few videos that it hit me. I see deer everywhere. There is no lack of deer in this part of the state. I was looking for large tracts of public land to 'get away' from other people. Not likely to happen. I have since focused my efforts into small, hopefully over-looked parcels that are absolutely nasty and exhibit few indications of people, or areas where people can be patterned more easily. I also no longer worry about finding food. There's probably food within 3/4mi of most any location and when thinking of mature deer, that's nothing to travel each night from the proper bedding location. I always looked for the whole puzzle right together, which doesn't HAVE to be the case it seems.

I can say that this website has totally changed a Southern boy's views. Find his bed, get to it quietly and set up on him and kill him.....or at least that's the plan. Now to just learn more so what to look for and even more so rule out places and put time in trees this fall.

Thanks for such a great website and plethora of information.

On more after thought...your views on the winds in your YouTube video on hanging stands...glad I wasn't crazy when I thought the same, but I was never a public land hunter or had a lot of acreage or number of places to hunt before, so I always played it safe. Always got frustrated cause it would seem like the perfect wind to hunt a spot wasn't necessarily the one that'd make the deer want to be there.

Anyway sorry for the long draw out post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”