waders and crossing water

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

62kodiak
500 Club

Re: waders and crossing water

Unread postby 62kodiak » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks Headhunter. I looked up them Dry Plus Wader Jeans and they are slicker than snot on a doorknob. I need to get a pair.

It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 pm

62kodiak wrote:Thanks Headhunter. I looked up them Dry Plus Wader Jeans and they are slicker than snot on a doorknob. I need to get a pair.

X2

Always wondered about those. The reviews look pretty good so I am going to consider them when my hip boots wear out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:52 pm

I wear underarmour type leggings underneath my hip boots and use a pair of old shorts over the boots. I cut the front pockets outa the shorts and run the boot straps through the pockets and attach them to a belt.
This works great for making the neoprene hip boots easier to walk in and cooler. This is waaaaaay better than wearing cotton jeans or some other heavy clothes underneath the rubber.
If it's cold I just bring my hbs and it's all good.

Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:56 pm

I have some neoprene waders from Cabela's. Bought them back in 2002 when I duck hunted a lot and can't believe no leaks and there still holding out !

I put them on at the truck and leave them on, I don't change out, just me. Good for cooler weather, but not so good early season as they can hold heat and be warm. I have done a lot of all day sits in them.
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 am

A lot of great info everyone. Thank you. I might have found a spot where I'll definitely be needing to put it all to use.
dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Unread postby dehart89 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Bungee my rubber boots to the stand along side the sticks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I was wondering what everyone else did with their boots, or even clothes if they changed before they get in the stand.

Do people bag them up, just hang them in the stand too, or leave them at the base of the stand?
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
HEADHUNTER

Unread postby HEADHUNTER » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:47 am

dehart89 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Bungee my rubber boots to the stand along side the sticks.

I was wondering what everyone else did with their boots, or even clothes if they changed before they get in the stand.

Do people bag them up, just hang them in the stand too, or leave them at the base of the stand?

When I change clothes/boots I do it at least 100 yards from my stand location and then put them in one of those carbon sacks to reduce the scent. You could probably use a garbage bag as well to keep it airtight, but that may also produce mildew since your clothes would be damp.
HEADHUNTER
"The thrill of the kill is in the chase"
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:51 am

If I wear my waders all the way to the stand, I leave them at the base of the tree on downwind side. Some hunts I can cross the water and leave the waders at the water crossing.

My largest buck was smelling my waders at the base of the tree when I killed him.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 am

I bought a pair of frogg toggs hellbender wading pants recently, tried them out this weekend and they should work nice for walking creeks. they aren't as quiet as i was hoping, so i'll have to take them off and just leave them by the water for the walk back. really looking forward to exploring a few new spots this way. creek is too small for a canoe and too just deep enough that boots don't do the trick.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:40 pm

I hunt around a few creeks that I walk up or down to access some stands. When the water is too high for knee highs I wear a cheap pair of pvc hip boots. They are generic really poor boots with a soft sole that you can feel everything that you step on. I like that because you can walk very quiet in them. They don't breathe well but roll down easy and in cold temperatures I layer up. Sometime I'll put together a post of a very good setup I wader up for. I just wear them in stand. If you keep them kinda clean of human skin oils they seem to help keep your scent off of your travel route some.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:16 pm

I've heard of some beast that just strips to his undies and goes for it. That guy is an animal... :think:

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

tbunao wrote:I've heard of some beast that just strips to his undies and goes for it. That guy is an animal... :think:

I know I have done it more than once. :D
Now I own a pair of hip waders.

I remember in 2010, KS has 5-6" of rain in one night. EVERYTHING flooded. The low water bridge was to deep to wade, 2 muddy to drive. I was tagged out. So I would strip down to my draws, put my buddy on my back and cross the bridge so he could go and hunt lol. Lucky for him it was not the other way around. I am tad larger than him :D
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:03 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
tbunao wrote:I've heard of some beast that just strips to his undies and goes for it. That guy is an animal... :think:

I know I have done it more than once. :D
Now I own a pair of hip waders.

I remember in 2010, KS has 5-6" of rain in one night. EVERYTHING flooded. The low water bridge was to deep to wade, 2 muddy to drive. I was tagged out. So I would strip down to my draws, put my buddy on my back and cross the bridge so he could go and hunt lol. Lucky for him it was not the other way around. I am tad larger than him :D

:lol: :lol:

My motto is " by any means necessary".

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”