Hunting the Mazomanie area

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Hunting the Mazomanie area

Unread postby dehart89 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:09 am

Wondering who hunts the Mazomanie area? It's closer to home for me, and really never hunted public land. I went through the Mazomanie Oak Barrens & Mazomanie Bottoms State Natural Area this spring. Found some good spots, but really haven't been through since.

During the Deer & Turkey Expo in Madison, I talked with Officer Youngquist, with the WI DNR and he would be able to help me out. But I've been super busy and haven't had the time. He said all I would need were the plat book maps for Iowa, Dane, & Sauk Co. and he said he'd spend a day with me going over everything. I guess it's kind of nice to see an DNR officer try and give a helping hand.

So, I guess. Any tips, suggestions, success stories from this area? (would also inclue the Lower Wisconsin Riverway too)

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
Bucky

Re: Hunting the Mazomanie area

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 am

I hunted it in college... used to have good bucks in that area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:18 am

I've hunted it. There are nice bucks in the area every year. Never shot anything really big. Finding their happy place can be a challenge. There is a fair amount of pressure in the area from duck, pheasant, and deer hunters. Long hikes, difficult access, and thick/nasty are good places to start. So is a spotlight.

You may want to consider applying for a Dane Co Parks permit too.

dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Unread postby dehart89 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I've hunted it. There are nice bucks in the area every year. Never shot anything really big. Finding their happy place can be a challenge. There is a fair amount of pressure in the area from duck, pheasant, and deer hunters. Long hikes, difficult access, and thick/nasty are good places to start. So is a spotlight.

You may want to consider applying for a Dane Co Parks permit too.

Thanks Bucky and BassBoyLLP. I was going to last year and totally forgot. I'm over in Cross Plains. I know Indian Lake gives out 4 I believe. Officer Youngquist mentioned there are always some big boys in the area. He did mention there area a group in the Arena/Mazo area that drive the Islands 2nd half of gun season.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

I've scouted it, take a gun if you have a ccw, I walked up on what appeared to be a hydroponic operation.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:00 am

I have stayed away from it for the most part, seems like it gets a lot of pressure from the madison crowd. But it is a big enough area, I'm sure theres big ones running around. Drove through there a couple weeks ago and it made me question why I don't check it out. Might make time for it someday.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 am

hunter_mike wrote:I have stayed away from it for the most part, seems like it gets a lot of pressure from the madison crowd. But it is a big enough area, I'm sure theres big ones running around. Drove through there a couple weeks ago and it made me question why I don't check it out. Might make time for it someday.

It doesn't see that much pressure, especially the difficult to access pieces. Most guys stick to the park like setting.

If you want a little more solitude, try the properties a little farther down the river, especially if you have a boat. Some properies are only accessible by boat.

Many properties are best accessed by boat as most of the lower WI river is a riparian buffer strip between the river and crop fields.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks for the info. I guess i always assumed it got pounded because I always hear people talking about it when public land around madison is mentioned. I always cringe with paranoia every time I hear a place that I hunt mentioned by someone. Have never set foot on Mazo though. Im sure you are right about the pressure being skewed towards the "big timber" areas near the access.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”