Trail Cameras on public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you use trail cameras on public land?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 86
dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Trail Cameras on public land

Unread postby dehart89 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 am

Was just curious on how many people put out trail cameras on public land?

If so, how big is the public land you hunt? do you leave them waist high or put them up high? I guess I was possibly trying to see what everyone else does for trail cameras on public land. Might put 1 or 2 out next year.

I've been to busy this year, so sorry it's been so long since I posted anything (new job, summer, baby, "honey do list", lost my password) :) But now that I'm laid up for the next 4-6 weeks, I might as well catch up on my hunting techniques.

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Trail Cameras on public land

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 am

I'm running 5-15 on public from summer to winter. Most are set one stick high, but I'll still set at waist high if its the only option or the best option and far off the beaten path. Most of my risky sets are cameras on the verge of retirement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Unread postby dehart89 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm running 5-15 on public from summer to winter. Most are set one stick high, but I'll still set at waist high if its the only option or the best option and far off the beaten path. Most of my risky sets are cameras on the verge of retirement.

Thanks BassBoysLLP, do you lock any of yours up?

I did forget to post this with the first post. I was on ArcheryTalk's facebook page a couple weeks ago and they were talking about trail camera's. Someone mentioned Moultrie's and a link to their specials. Which is actually a bunch of their refurbished modules. I ended up getting one for my nephew (who just turned 6) and he's in absolute love with it. Now he can go do what dad, uncle and grandpa can do.

below is the link if anyone is interested in more trail cameras.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/specials
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 am

I don't lock them anymore. I've had just as many locked cams get stolen as unlocked cams.

ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:27 am

I know am stupid, but I almost exclusively hunt public land about 4.5 hrs away. I normally have cams from July til January out. The stupid part is that one is a reconyx, but man does that thuling get pictures. I just bought two browning strike forces and put out. I have a few homebrews I built out also.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 pm

I run several on public land. I don't lock them but I do put them about 10' high. Never had any trouble. With a little ingenuity, and at that height, they're hardly even noticeable.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:55 am

Trying it for the first time, I'm scared.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 am

ozzz wrote:Trying it for the first time, I'm scared.

:lol: I don't blame you!

I hardly ever use them but in conifer swamps there are so many trees and it is so thick it isn't an issue as long as you stay away from the roads and trails. The places I hunt are so thick and remote they can't find sticks and stands, let alone trailcams.

If I wasn't in a swamp I'd be scared too! :mrgreen:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:40 am

I mount them up high on public and haven't had an issue since. Most areas I put them rarely get much human traffic anyway.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 am

I say if you have the guts, use them on public land. :lol: Seriously though I use them sparingly on public. I have one out on public right now. I took some sticks and put it up 15 feet high. I always say you have to make thieves work for what they take. If a guy is going to steal my stuff, I at the very least want him to have a chance of getting hurt doing it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 am

Stanley wrote:I say if you have the guts, use them on public land. :lol: Seriously though I use them sparingly on public. I have one out on public right now. I took some sticks and put it up 15 feet high. I always say you have to make thieves work for what they take. If a guy is going to steal my stuff, I at the very least want him to have a chance of getting hurt doing it.

Careful Stanley. In today's America, you may get sued! :lol:

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:43 am

Place them high or hide they within a bush etc. I had plenty stolen... didn't matter if python locked, lock box etc. If someone finds it that wants it... it is gone.

I never took anyone elses but I have found roughly 30-45 over the past years.... left them all with my signature "I found your camera" pose = Full Moon :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:55 am

I've been lucky not to have any cameras stolen.
However not so lucky with tree stands!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:59 am

I keep them in lock boxes and pythons 1 stick high. but on top of the box I write in sharpie" property of (whatever public agencies land your on) GPS equipped DO NOT TAMPER!!!!"
Haven't had one stolen yet. With that said I put one on a private piece for the first time this year. I'll be surprised if something doesn't happen to it. There are sons and nephews around that don't hunt but anybody who has experience with that knows better. If I kill a nice one off the property this year and by some chance someone hears about it, all the relatives will once again rekindle their lost passion for hunting. If I make it with just a lost camera I'll be surprised. :?
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 am

Never locked but always put them 8-10 ft high. At $200-500 a pop its too risky to leave sitting at waist level in the woods.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”