Trail Cameras on public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you use trail cameras on public land?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 86
wmihunter

Re: Trail Cameras on public land

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:08 am

E72 wrote:
dan wrote:
E72 wrote:Well I checked my one cam out on public today ... SHE GONE ! It was in a thick area but apparently too close to the road . Thieving Scumbags are everywhere .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

My HCO has gps tracking and sends me a picture via email of the guy stealing it right as he is taking it... If its deep in the swamp, I can likely beat him to his truck.

Oh man , to track them down like that.....that would be beautiful and ugly at the same time ! :twisted:

Dan, how do u like ur hco? Is it worth the $$?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 am

wmihunter wrote:
E72 wrote:
dan wrote:
E72 wrote:Well I checked my one cam out on public today ... SHE GONE ! It was in a thick area but apparently too close to the road . Thieving Scumbags are everywhere .

My HCO has gps tracking and sends me a picture via email of the guy stealing it right as he is taking it... If its deep in the swamp, I can likely beat him to his truck.

Oh man , to track them down like that.....that would be beautiful and ugly at the same time ! :twisted:

Dan, how do u like ur hco? Is it worth the $$?

The "panda" is awesome... We have a black flash model that works really well to... There was one that was to complicated for simple me, but the Panda was both simple and works really well.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:08 pm

I ran two this year both had cable locks on them and not one got stolen. I put them up high and angled them down. I pulled one about 3 weeks ago and the batteries died. I learned from that I will only run lithium batteries instead of some cheap ultitech brand. I pulled the other one and got a decent buck on there.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:18 pm

dan wrote:

Dan, I'm assuming you meant "beat him AND the truck"
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Last season I got my camera stolen on private land that is 200 to 300 yards from state land. At first, I thought I may have moved it and just forgot... Wishful thinking!

go DEEP or go HOME
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:54 pm

I lost two last week deep on public. I was clearly in someone's "spot"...based on shining I can see why he is trying to protect it. :mrgreen: Each camera was high and tight/concealed. The individual was clearly hunting my cams as he either shimmied up the tree or brought his own sticks! :twisted:
superblackhawk

Unread postby superblackhawk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:59 pm

ozzz wrote:Trying it for the first time, I'm scared.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I'm with ya.

Took a hike last weekend and couldnt find a spot where i didnt think it would be stolen :doh: Still had it in my pack going home.

Dont know if its paranoia, but i've reead of so many being stolen...

i'll be back out tomoorw
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:11 pm

dan wrote:

My coverts do this. Last year a guy showed on mine via a pic it sent meand it stopped working a few minutes later. Thought he stole it but he just took the SD card. But i found out the gps tracking is very in accurate. They use triangulation and covert told me it doesn't really work...

So if someone show up and the cam won't take pics I will be heading to meet them next time lol

Make It Happen
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Same problem here, would love to run some blackout coverts but haven't been willing to put out anything but cheapo wildviews with flash off. I pull them prior to rifle seasons
Pretty creative bout hiding them..haven't had one leave yet..been considering the primos 35s,,they can be had kinda cheap now too. Still believe infrareds spook deer too though especially decent bucks in high pressure areas.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

Strangely the only cams I have had stolen were on private...I have not lost one on public yet (just jinxed myself I know). I have run multiple cams on public for 5 years or so and not had one stolen. I never put them where there is much human traffic, far back from trails or whatever I am covering, and generally high enough out of reach. I have walked by many other people's cams, most of the time they are very obvious and very easy to get to. I think the biggest factor is putting them where few go.
monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 am

I just bought my very first trail camera last week and put it out to try and pattern this buck that I located and how he enters his bedding area in hopes of catching him in morning legal shooting hours. I was so paranoid of my trail camera being stolen that I went back the next day to retrieve it. These toys bring so much joy and happiness to hunters that I could never take that away from them if I were to see it in the woods.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Never had one stolen but I don't use my Reconyx on public. I only use Moultrie cams that are about 100 bucks. My BIL had his Bell canoe stolen from my land this summer though. About a $1000 bucks.
chrisp981

Unread postby chrisp981 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I hung a camera at a county park and had someone put duct tape over the sensor. They also hung a stand 20yrds down the trail where my stand was hung as well. I've also had some not so nice messages left from other hunters about having a camera hung. I'm looking at getting the new Bushnell can to send pics to my phone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”