Observation Stands On Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Observation Stands On Public Land

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 am

I have one area on public that I did a hang and observe last year over looking a private field. This year a shooter showed up on cam that leads me to believe he is frequenting that said field. I need a specific wind and the time to hike back and do this observation. Just like a hunt access is planned and I'm set up 20-30 yards back in the woods. I can see just enough to get what I want out of the sit and still feel comfortable tearing down and slipping back out without disturbing them. It also helps that my pre scouting determined the where abouts of the beds so I know my access is good and they will be using the wind in their favor to access the field.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:53 am

I have 2 new spots (remote bean fields) that this would work great for. In the next couple weeks when the wind is right I'm gonna give them a sit!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:11 am

I believe you can only benefit from observation sits when done correctly.
You not only benefit from the knowledge you take with you, but it's great practice for access routes, practicing you set up and tear down, and your stealth.
All are key to a successful hunt.
I also like to practice filming when doing observation sits. I new to it so it's great to practice setting everything up and learning how to keep everything out of my way.
Joe™
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 am

https://youtu.be/ka3vrsvRivI

Here is a link to the MW Whitetail video I was talking about.
Joe™
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:11 am

I like the idea of observation sits. I think the secluded fields are best to try to locate a big buck. Problem is i have a lot of these fields scattered throughout multiple counties none of which are close to where i live. Makes it hard to determine which fields to observe since i can only observe so many in a given time.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:52 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:I like the idea of observation sits. I think the secluded fields are best to try to locate a big buck. Problem is i have a lot of these fields scattered throughout multiple counties none of which are close to where i live. Makes it hard to determine which fields to observe since i can only observe so many in a given time.

I would try to get out some night and shine as many as possible. Get out there just before dark. Depending on bucks that are already out in the field you can pretty much assume that they are bedded close by.
Joe™
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:I like the idea of observation sits. I think the secluded fields are best to try to locate a big buck. Problem is i have a lot of these fields scattered throughout multiple counties none of which are close to where i live. Makes it hard to determine which fields to observe since i can only observe so many in a given time.

I would try to get out some night and shine as many as possible. Get out there just before dark. Depending on bucks that are already out in the field you can pretty much assume that they are bedded close by.

I'll have to check the KS regulations as I've only been stationed here a few years. That's a good idea but the fields I'm talking about observing are the ones that are secluded and can't be seen from the road. I feel the older deer may feel a little more comfortable here but maybe I'm wrong? Also some of the public land open to the public is still being posted and i don't want to waste time on areas i may not be able to hunt on but that should be up real soon
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:05 am

This is a great tactic before the season! You get free intel, and don't have to burn a hunt!

This is the first year I've ever done this before season. It helps me get into the hunting mindset before season, and knock the rust off my set-up skillz.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:05 am

How far away are you guys hanging your observation stands? 50 yards? 100? 200?

I found a nice marshy bedding area on some public land. There is a nice transition route from the thick, marshy bedding to a small but relatively open area of hardwoods and then into some thick understudy. It's a great setup but I'd like to observe deer moving through there first. When I put boots on the ground it was hard to get a line of sight more than a few hundred yards out, though that will change when the leaves start dropping.

I really like the idea of doing an observation sit before I move in on the funnel. Specifically I want to know where the deer are coming and going into the bedding, as there were many many trails going in and out.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:11 am

Far enough away so the deer don't know you're there. But close enough, that you can get the intel you need.

There is no magic distance. All situations are different. I like stay as far as possible, but still see what I need to see.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:13 am

tgreeno wrote:Far enough away some the deer don't know you're there. But close enough, that you can get the intel you need.

There is no magic distance. All situations are different. I like stay as far away as I can, but still see what I need to see.

I figured as much. I will have to wait until a southerly wind but I think I could sit as close as 50-75 yards out for an observation sit. I've got 3-4 trees pegged in the funnel depending on the wind if I can confirm some movement.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 am

During late pre rut, I use observation stands on power lines/clear cuts that are in heavily wooded/hilly terrain. Especially clear cuts that have not been brush hogged in a few years, the deer still feel relativity safe to cross during daylight.
I usually just sit on the ground at a higher elevation overlooking large bottom areas. These areas usually have lots of different trails in the brush crossing the clear cut in many different locations. This makes it hard to pinpoint a good stand location because a lot of these trails are not currently being used much even though it looks like a great spot.
I just “waste” a few hunts observing where I’m seeing the most concentrated doe crossings. Where they are coming out of the wood line, what direction they are traveling etc. I am basically just getting the most recent doe movement patterns reconed.
Then I simply go down in there and hang a stand during the middle of the day, based on the wind-weather forecast. When setting up my tree stand, I try to keep in mind that the deer will not always come out in the exact same spot or trail. Sometimes when a group of doe cross some of them use different trails that can sometimes be spread out 20-30 yards even when traveling together. So I set up accordingly, this sometimes makes for a longer archery shot on my clear cut set ups.
This tactic works best late pre rut, for mature bucks will check and cross the same areas in pursuit of finding the first hot doe.
I have noticed mature bucks like to push hot does into clear cuts a little later during the (chase phase) of the rut, but it’s very unpredictable where they will come out of the wood line at. So I usually hunt funnels back in the woods at that time of year unless I’m rifle hunting.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Redman232 wrote:I use an observation stand on almost all of my a.m. setups. If I can only hunt lets say til noon, I'm not going to wait until 8 or 9 to walk into a spot I want to hunt. If I set up a little ways off, in an area with a good vantage point to where I really want to be you can observe movement at first light or the first hour of daylight to see what is passing thru that you could have potentially spooked had you tried to set up right at or before daylight. Then when I'm confident nothing is on its' feet, I'll move in closer to where the observed movement took place. This is my preferred tactic for rut hunting doe bedding areas. You can hunt a known doe bedding area, but if you don't observe does bedding in it that day you could be wasting a hunt. My last 3 bucks have all come after observing doe or buck movement and then relocating. I personally feel like observation stands when hunting farmland are invaluable.

Very well said. One of the biggest things I've taken away from this group is not being afraid to give up a hunt to observe. I'm in farm/hill country. I have a buddy that hunts that way and he kills a good one every year.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:29 am

All my biggest bucks were first spotted from a stand that was off a little. Paying attention to the wind, time, and deers travels I then set up on them. Now when you watch them slide into their bed then set up on them that will really get your heart racing.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:39 am

Bumping this one.

I used to be skeptical of in season observations where I hunt. Reason being, I felt movement was too random. My part of MN is VERY low pressure. There are lots of options for them regarding places that they feel safe.

I now have a very different perspective. Observations teach me more than anything else. I feel that:

1) Whether or not a buck repeats his actions is very dependent on the buck himself. Some are roamers. Some are habitual.

2) I’m finding it can be very property specific. Some places I see huntable patterns, others it’s a craps shoot.

The buck I killed this year was 100% due to pre-season observations. I saw two bucks enter a bean field on two separate occasions. They came out of a bedding area I knew I needed to keep an eye on, but I felt it was a mediocre bedding area at best. I had it pegged as doe bedding with rut sign.

The night before opener I had obligations so talked my Dad into observing for me. The bucks were still there. I moved in and killed the decent 10 opening night from the ground.

Without observing, I never would have been able to put the pieces together on this spot. What I thought was doe bedding with a few small buck rubs in it was actually early season bedding with velvet rubs. I’d been through there two springs in a row. I firmly believe that nobody would pick this spot out off an aerial. General area, yes. But not the exact bedding. I’m quite positive I’ve been missing the boat on this spot the last couple years. Observing doesn’t work here on standing corn years.

I did an observation at a different spot last week that was very beneficial. I had scouted, observed, and hunted this spot early for several years with poor results. I now know it is an unpressured pocket where they hole up after gun season. Rut and post rut are where it’s at for this spot. I didn’t see any shooters come out of the bedding, but I’m positive they’re there. I found the largest turd I’ve ever seen on this property last year.

Most importantly, being able to see low spots in ag fields is CRUCIAL. If I don’t leave my truck I miss 90% of the movement. I keep close tabs on the fields next to the bedding where I killed my buck. I shined it many times and didn’t see any shooters. Not once in the last 3 years have I seen one. My observation sits showed they’re there... they just stay out of sight of the road.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”