Highly visible bucks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Highly visible bucks

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 am

I have been seeing a couple of decent, but not huge bucks in daylight in a few areas that border some of my public hunting grounds. My concern is that everybody else is also seeing these bucks as they are quite visible from the road.

What have been your experiences with highly visible deer? Does it pay to go and hunt them knowing that there will be lots of other people doing the same thing? Do you go after other deer that aren't so visible?

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
headgear
500 Club

Re: Highly visible bucks

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 am

Highly visible in the public land forum? Total oxymoron!!!!

I can't say I have had much experience with highly visible bucks but I would bet someone else knows they are around. By the time the season rolls around the odds are good they will see some form of pressure and move on. Private land could be a whole different story but I just don't see it happening on public all that often. Some of my best spots don't get a lot of action until the pressure is sky high, the bucks just don't have anywhere else to go where they won't be shot or harassed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:09 am

some of the bucks I have taken were highly visible in July... In some cases it added a lot of pressure, but that didn't hurt me, it may have even helped in some cases cause most people don't hunt the bedding like I do, and the pressure helps to put them into predictable patterns.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:00 am

Funny you ask. We pull out of the driverway and a buck 100 yds away from the house and 50 yds off the road eating soybean leaves. Not a care in the world. Nice buck too. Might score 100 or so by fall. If I get a trail cam pic of him I will post it.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:35 am

Most deer that I get that have wide ranges closer to.August and walk during daylight often... almost always wind up dead by Dec. I'd say go after em early if you are still seeing them regularly

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:50 am

I find that the bucks I'm seeing this time of year, change their patterns when we push into middle September. I try to keep tabs on where the go when they change patterns.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 am

At this point I have thought of bumping a few and having a spotter to help watch their next move. A practice run for when all the other hunters scout a week before season opener.
If you do this with right wind and from right direction they should run to a good ambush spot for early season.
All of this is just "on paper" and I haven't personally done it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am

Sounds like you are seeing them on private, is the bedding on the public? If not I would think it is a waste of time personally. I have spent many hours watching bucks on the wrong side of the fence and went home empty handed all too often waiting for one to make a mistake...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:15 pm

My experience with highly visible deer from the roadway is that come opening day guys will be stacked around the food source and the area will get pounded for the first couple weeks. It's fairly obvious when there are a consistent number of trucks in a single parking lot. They have all been seeing a big deer....
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”