rough time on new public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
seeds

Re: rough time on new public land

Unread postby seeds » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:44 am

I've had issues with neighboring landowners who aren't used to seeing guys "way back" on difficult-access public land. In fact,there's a number of parcels of state land I know that are posted "NO TRESPASSING". Plat maps and state forest maps both show it to be owned by the state.

If you end up talking to folks who seem unhappy you're there:...You have never actually shot a deer. You seldom even see anything....Don't overhunt an area - if they see you there a couple times it might be no big deal. If they feel you've "moved in to "their" area they may try to encourage you to move on.

I have dropped my gear off,parked on a busy highway 3/4 mile away and rode my bicycle back.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Hunters are supposed to be unified. We already face enough opposition from the tree huggers. I just dont understand some people.
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Got my lugnuts loosened and one sheared off as I was driving on a Missouri conservation area a few years back. I figured locals weren't happy my Michigan plates were parked on their public land. Prior to that had a stand damaged and a couple punks walking around my tree stand while I was in it yelling and cussing. Prior to that never had a problem the previous 5 years I hunted that CA. Met lots of good people there and would go back if I had time. Don't let the losers get you to upset. I prefer to let the authorities handle it. If I try to handle it myself my temper will usually get in the way and it won't turn out well for anyone. If you're gonna continue hunting there get all the phone numbers in your phone and use them. Hunt with someone. Curious,what area of Missouri were you in?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 am

I've bumped into a few jerks on public land before but I've never had anyone mess with my vehicle. I think about it every time I walk away from my truck though. Last year I did have a guy pull up beside my truck, get out and look in the windows but then he got back in his car and left. I could watch my truck from the tree I was in.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:07 am

Philski wrote:Got my lugnuts loosened and one sheared off as I was driving on a Missouri conservation area a few years back. I figured locals weren't happy my Michigan plates were parked on their public land. Prior to that had a stand damaged and a couple punks walking around my tree stand while I was in it yelling and cussing. Prior to that never had a problem the previous 5 years I hunted that CA. Met lots of good people there and would go back if I had time. Don't let the losers get you to upset. I prefer to let the authorities handle it. If I try to handle it myself my temper will usually get in the way and it won't turn out well for anyone. If you're gonna continue hunting there get all the phone numbers in your phone and use them. Hunt with someone. Curious,what area of Missouri were you in?

I live/hunt in the south eastern part of the state. Roughly a hour and a half south of St Louis. What part of the state were you in when you had the issues?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:58 am

Hunt during the week to avoid most of the non-sense, hang a cam watching the lot while you are out.

Have dealt with slit tires, stolen deer, lock-on being loosened, stolen stands/cams, truck broken into, harassment while on stand, shots fired in my general direction, etc…

Comes with the territory.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 am

Ive had nails dumped in my parking spot n years ago my uncles car beat with baseball bats .. he heard it going down while in his stand...

Philski

Unread postby Philski » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:22 pm

My issues were at Ted Shanks CA in Pike county. The guy I hunted with up there grew up down in Poplar Bluff in se Mo.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:42 am

Keep in mind its probably only a few guys, probably one or two, that are the bad apples in a particular spot. There was a guy who liked to cut screw in steps or chains half way through in an area around here. Put your weight on it and snap, that's talking really dirty. Some guys figured out who it was and had a heart to heart with him, now no more cut tree steps.

Most people are decent folks when you get to know them but there is always just a few that are a waste of space. Talk to some locals, tell them what happened to you, might learn a lot.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:40 pm

JoeRE wrote:Keep in mind its probably only a few guys, probably one or two, that are the bad apples in a particular spot. There was a guy who liked to cut screw in steps or chains half way through in an area around here. Put your weight on it and snap, that's talking really dirty. Some guys figured out who it was and had a heart to heart with him, now no more cut tree steps.

Most people are decent folks when you get to know them but there is always just a few that are a waste of space. Talk to some locals, tell them what happened to you, might learn a lot.

Yeah I know a guy that used to live near this area and his family still does. He's going to just see what he can come up with. I'm sure it's one or two knuckleheads that are giving me all the trouble.

Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 am

Camera is a good idea. Have ur problems been on FL public? If so which WMAs?
PalmettoKid wrote:Hunt during the week to avoid most of the non-sense, hang a cam watching the lot while you are out.

Have dealt with slit tires, stolen deer, lock-on being loosened, stolen stands/cams, truck broken into, harassment while on stand, shots fired in my general direction, etc…

Comes with the territory.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:
I live/hunt in the south eastern part of the state. Roughly a hour and a half south of St Louis. What part of the state were you in when you had the issues?

Off topic but do you ever hunt ducks over there? You're not that far from me.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:12 am

I was up in a public marsh with my boat about three years ago. I was hunting a small little island in the morning. About two hours after light i heard a boat coming down the ditch and slow down and stop by my boat. Didn't think much of it cuz i didn't have any gear in my boat. Really nothing for him to steal in there. Well at noon i get out and start walking to my boat. And when i get there the guy pulled my plug out of my boat and it was under water. I had to call my brother-in-law to come up with his boat and a bucket to empty mine out. I was about 3 miles back in the marsh. Really pissed me off. But some people have no respect for a fellow hunter. Still hunt in this marsh till this day and have not had anymore problems.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Southern Man wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:

Off topic but do you ever hunt ducks over there? You're not that far from me.

No I never got into duck hunting but that is probably bigger here than deer hunting. Have a ton of buddies that do and they do very well. Where exactly are you located in Kentucky? I have some friends that hunt there around Paducah

boostedprozac

Unread postby boostedprozac » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:55 pm

I've had that happen a few times. I would say keep doing what you're doing because they have no right to bully you out but in the end, your safety comes first. It's people like that that gives hunting a bad name. It's not worth your time, effort, and money. If they want to keep their spot so much, let them have it. I understand the convenience but everything else is not worth it. We love our way of life... but remember that your safety is always first. Good luck and be safe.
2016 Elite E32 | Lonewolf | Beast Sticks | Sitka

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”