Beating Other Hunters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

albrechtt

Beating Other Hunters

Unread postby albrechtt » Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 am

There is a lot of talk about how you can beat other hunters on public land as well as knowing where they are going to hunt. I think that is extremely important as deer will relocate to places with little to no pressure. I just joined the Beast a few weeks ago and I've been struggling to understand how other hunters will access the public ground I hunt as well as where they will go. I think it finally clicked and just wanted to share with what made things more clear...

I simply ask myself, "where would I hunt this land before knowing the Beast way?" It's such a simple question but one a lot of people probably don't think of. I would be willing to bet 90% or more of hunters will hunt a property almost the exact same way. It's easy to hunt over sign (rubs, scrapes, trails) but like this forum talks about, it's not always about being around sign. I had always previously thought in order to see deer, I had to hunt the sign and so that is how I would choose stand sites. This is most likely how every other hunter in my area hunts as well. Now when I go out scouting, I look for places I wouldn't have ever thought to hunt before joining here.

This is all known material I just thought I would put things into a different perspective for those that were having a hard time like myself.

ozzz

Re: Beating Other Hunters

Unread postby ozzz » Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 am

Beat other Beast hunters
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:43 am

I think it will be pretty tough to beat some of the beast hunters lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 am

albrechtt wrote:There is a lot of talk about how you can beat other hunters on public land as well as knowing where they are going to hunt. I think that is extremely important as deer will relocate to places with little to no pressure. I just joined the Beast a few weeks ago and I've been struggling to understand how other hunters will access the public ground I hunt as well as where they will go. I think it finally clicked and just wanted to share with what made things more clear...

I simply ask myself, "where would I hunt this land before knowing the Beast way?" It's such a simple question but one a lot of people probably don't think of. I would be willing to bet 90% or more of hunters will hunt a property almost the exact same way. It's easy to hunt over sign (rubs, scrapes, trails) but like this forum talks about, it's not always about being around sign. I had always previously thought in order to see deer, I had to hunt the sign and so that is how I would choose stand sites. This is most likely how every other hunter in my area hunts as well. Now when I go out scouting, I look for places I wouldn't have ever thought to hunt before joining here.

This is all known material I just thought I would put things into a different perspective for those that were having a hard time like myself.

You just passed your 1st semester... 8-)
albrechtt

Unread postby albrechtt » Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 am

:dance:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed May 07, 2014 11:44 am

When you say "beating other hunters" do you mean punching someone that hunts your spots? :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:When you say "beating other hunters" do you mean punching someone that hunts your spots? :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same thing.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 am

I seem to find that most of the stereotypical "good spots" on public land are not good spots because that is where the novice stateland hunters go first. Also it seems that there is always a new crop of novice hunters every year. I seldom see the same group of guys hunting the public. There are the veterans that I know put in the time every year but most cant handle it and give up after a season. This is why they are easily patterned. The newbies always make the same mistakes as all the newbies before them and the veterans are like ghost and we seldom cross paths.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 09, 2014 11:22 am

oldrank wrote:I seem to find that most of the stereotypical "good spots" on public land are not good spots because that is where the novice stateland hunters go first. Also it seems that there is always a new crop of novice hunters every year. I seldom see the same group of guys hunting the public. There are the veterans that I know put in the time every year but most cant handle it and give up after a season. This is why they are easily patterned. The newbies always make the same mistakes as all the newbies before them and the veterans are like ghost and we seldom cross paths.

I agree 100%

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:22 am

When novice or unaware people park in obvious deer travel paths it ticks me off. But I just move on and play the chess game.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:45 am

justdirtyfun wrote:When novice or unaware people park in obvious deer travel paths it ticks me off. But I just move on and play the chess game.

Why does it tick you off? Are you not hunting there anyway? That should just play in your favor.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:57 am

justdirtyfun wrote:When novice or unaware people park in obvious deer travel paths it ticks me off. But I just move on and play the chess game.

Are you in WI? I accidently parked over a cruise trail last season. At dark one day last season, I was dragging a doe I killed out of the woods, a guy in a truck pulled over and asked me not to park over the trail again. He was hunting across the road from me. I was totally unaware. I felt kinda dumb but the guy was cool. Just wondering if that could have been you... ;)
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm in Illinois where our governors make our license plates.
Marching to a different beat is kinda my style. This site shows the way to avoid pressure from other folks. I guess those hunters are on "pixie dust".

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:17 pm

I have to beat hunters close to home there's a lot of stupid ones

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:28 pm

You pretty much nailed it albrechtt, can't tell you how many times I have told myself the same thing. Get there early, come out late you have good odds to see very few to zero other hunters once you eliminate all the "old" ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”