So you think it's tough eh?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Terry
500 Club

Re: So you think it's tough eh?

Unread postby Terry » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:57 am

I am not sure It's the toughest, but NY gets pounded pretty hard everywhere I have hunted except in the ADK mountains where there is sometimes less than 1 deer per square mile. Most of the private land is comparable to public in that there are large numbers of hunters who pound the woods with deer drives, often hitting the same spots day after day. Poaching is also a huge problem in many areas. Most of it is at night with spotlights. It's funny when you hit a mature buck with a spotlight and he instantly bolts. You know he has played that game before and has been shot at.

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:15 am

Great thread

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:49 am

I've learned unless you experience it you can't understand it. I've hunted public in the Midwest and found it hard. I've hunted a groomed no internal pressure property in western ny and found it harder. I've hunted the adk mtns and disliked it. Unless we hunt the same ground in wi or folks hunt the same ground in ny we just guess we have it worse. Statistically there are some obvious factual backers to what your saying- start with b&c numbers....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:25 am

Fun discussion to read. Definitely a lot of places where it is hard to find a 3.5 year old. But one thing that stands out to me especially for the states of NY, PA, and MI, even MN there is usually a neighboring state or one close by with a better chance for better bucks.

I keep wanting to hit a southern state like KY or even AL, MS, GA, TN, southern IN or IL, Arkansas, etc, so many places to go. I just like to travel and deer tags are generally reasonable.

This may or may not be the year to go south, and don't laugh, but I enjoy hunting deer in MI.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”