Archery vs Gun Pressure

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Archery vs Gun Pressure

Unread postby briar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 am

I hoofed it out on nice piece of ground on Sunday. I saw more sign then I have seen in a long time on a piece of public. Rubs, scrapes, lots of trails and tracks.........and also 4 stands :geek: !! Most of these were your average ladder stands and two hang on and sticks, two were older two were newer, most were places that where I was looking at were gun stands. This woods started with about 700 yards of corn, a good size river runs through it, a huge oak flat, and then a real thick area.....so many trees where the LW climber would work you could use it the whole season.

So when you scout public and see this kind of human sign, do you find that most of it is "gun" hunters or do you tend to see them being used in archery?

OH nontypical
500 Club

Re: Archery vs Gun Pressure

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 am

50/50 where I hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:54 am

A lot of it I see if the guys are leaving their stands out year around they are usually bow hunting it too. That's just what I've noticed here

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 am

The closer to the parking lot, and the more litter (esp scent bombs, wicks, etc) the more its gun pressure
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Sounds like a good situation to make note of the location of all the human sign with a gps. Then load it into some topo mapping software and survey the entire piece of property.

Look at the topo maps and aerial maps to find key structure that may hold a big buck but protect them from the areas of high human traffic. I believe by studying this type of pattern is how Dan killed one of his largest bucks
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Spots like that here on Michigan public land are usually hunted from October 1st until January 1st, bow, then gun, then muzzleloader........not much down time on the stands around here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”