Heading to Kansas

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lostinstateforest

Heading to Kansas

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:00 pm

So a friend and I are heading to Kansas in april to due some turkey hunting and scout public land for a week long November archery hunt. We are headed to Clinton and Perry wildlife area. I am in for some terrain shock. I have always went deep and never get disturbed here in pa but Zap warns me there wont be much disappearing out there. So forget about the Turkey, what can I key in on during the spring trip to make the November(1~9) archery hunt more successful. Doe bedding seems to be high on the list but with small tracks of land I am worried with what will change from spring til winter.

Help me bestie boys

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
christian1
500 Club

Re: Heading to Kansas

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:06 pm

How small are the tracts of land you will be looking at?

chris
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:18 pm

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/KDWPT-Info/Loc ... on-2/Perry

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/KDWPT-Info/Loc ... -2/Clinton

I have some maps on the way. I have been trying to look at some online sources but struggling to see clear boundaries.

~ Dr. John Goetsch
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 am

I hunt that area of KS, the tracts of land are very broken up, and the pressure is heavy in my opinion. Maybe not PA heavy, but because it is within an hour of Kansas City and Topeka you get a ton of local pressure because it is a close drive.

We have been scouting around Perry all spring, we have found some stuff that looks like it will pay off, but our success will depend on if we get it done in the first few weeks of the season.

I will have a better handle on that area after a few more scouting sessions, so keep in touch and maybe I can provide some info that will help you out.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 am

basspro05 wrote:I hunt that area of KS, the tracts of land are very broken up, and the pressure is heavy in my opinion. Maybe not PA heavy, but because it is within an hour of Kansas City and Topeka you get a ton of local pressure because it is a close drive.

We have been scouting around Perry all spring, we have found some stuff that looks like it will pay off, but our success will depend on if we get it done in the first few weeks of the season.

I will have a better handle on that area after a few more scouting sessions, so keep in touch and maybe I can provide some info that will help you out.

I appreciate any help. Heavy pressure is kinda what I am hearing so hopefully I can figure out some type of successful strategy to find an area that will still be holding deer come November.

~ Dr. John Goetsch
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 am

Thats the last area I would go to, you can find better unless you have some reason for that area.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 am

keb wrote:Thats the last area I would go to, you can find better unless you have some reason for that area.

Got a friend out there who is gonna show me around.

~ Dr. John Goetsch

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”