Is Iowa "worth it"

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Is Iowa "worth it"

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I am considering putting in for a preference point for Iowa but am not sure if its worth it. I know people say the public land is pretty good hunting there, but is it "that" much better than other places? The tag is not cheap, BUT I do not live too far from the Dubuque area, and I figure when I draw, I could hunt down there a fair amount being its not 15 hours away. I have a pop up camper that I could stay in so I figure when I figure in the savings in gas and whatnot, it may not be too bad $ wise even though the tags are a fortune. i want to start doing some road trips, but there are also some great spots in Wi too. I think the ability to hunt down there for more than a week or two would be nice and would certainly tip the odds in my favor vs only going to somewhere a ways off and having to do it in a week.

Bucky

Re: Is Iowa "worth it"

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Fun to see new areas.... $700 is a lot for a tag though

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Not worth it imho. I think there is a better value to be found in other states with a little more homework. Youre already living in one of the best areas in the country!

[ Post made via And;roid ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I think it is, but it depends on what you are looking for. I have relatively low standards so I had fun. I hunted Iowa twice with bow and killed two 140 inch bucks. Pressure on Iowa public seemed much lower than Wisconsin public IMO, but there was pressure. In 3 years when you draw Iowa could ne back on the upswing.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:40 pm

It takes 3 years to draw!?!? I thought it was only 2.

Jackson Marsh wrote:I think it is, but it depends on what you are looking for. I have relatively low standards so I had fun. I hunted Iowa twice with bow and killed two 140 inch bucks. Pressure on Iowa public seemed much lower than Wisconsin public IMO, but there was pressure. In 3 years when you draw Iowa could ne back on the upswing.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Depends what zone. I was in Zone 9, first time in 2009 it took 3 years, this last season took 4 years. Could always be less if less NR's apply due to reduced deer #'s
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 pm

NE Iowa will probably take 3.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Is that a good place to start looking? What zone is Washington County, my neighbor lives there, he might be able to help put me on some good ones too. Much public land in Washington Co?

muddy wrote:NE Iowa will probably take 3.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Depends what zone. I was in Zone 9, first time in 2009 it took 3 years, this last season took 4 years. Could always be less if less NR's apply due to reduced deer #'s

It'll be a while before you see a downswing...a lot of people thinking next year is there draw year. Another 2 years before you see a pressure change.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:41 pm

I bought my first preference point last year so I will continue till I get a tag. It's worth it to me to give it a shot at least once. Iowa is close enough that I can pre scout and hunt long weekends if I want.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 pm

I don't know the zones, I live here, I hunt state wide! Washington Co is just south of me and I'd have to look in my Sportsmans Atlas for what's there.

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:53 pm

imho, no disrespect to the hunt in IA, hunted there once and checked it off the bucketlist. But if you have to draw 3-4 points and pay $500 for a tag. I'm headed to the mountains in a good draw area and hunting elk, not whitetail. To many good options for hunting whitetails, where it's OTC for NR's.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Tadmdad wrote:imho, no disrespect to the hunt in IA, hunted there once and checked it off the bucketlist. But if you have to draw 3-4 points and pay $500 for a tag. I'm headed to the mountains in a good draw area and hunting elk, not whitetail. To many good options for hunting whitetails, where it's OTC for NR's.

I agree. I wouldn't pay the price at all, my Iowa tags are ~$35 for either sex and that's expensive IMO!

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I paid almost 300 for a NR antelope tag 3 years in a row, I thought that was steep!

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm going to do it just because.

Plus I know cool guy there that shoots monster bucks and has a good lead on Templeton rye. :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”