State lands for sale

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

State lands for sale

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 am

State land under review for possible sale
MADISON - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has released a list of 33 parcels of land that are currently under review for possible sale in response to a new state law that requires the Natural Resources Board to make 10,000 acres of land available for sale by June 30, 2017. The land under review is located in 23 counties and totals approximately 2,552 acres.
DNR staff compiled this list of land parcels using Geographic Information Systems tools to locate lands outside of DNR project boundaries as well as reviewing property master plans and past actions of the Natural Resources Board. The general criteria used to determine whether a parcel should be considered for sale under this new law include parcels of land:
outside of a project boundary with difficult or no access for the DNR management purposes;
outside of a project boundary with limited or no public access;
outside of a project boundary that have limited public recreational or natural resources value as determined by field review criteria established elsewhere in this sub-chapter;
that have been identified for sale as a result of a Natural Resources Board action; and
recommended for sale as a result of a master planning process or other department action.
The department developed a land sale policy that reflects the requirements found in Wisconsin state statute. That policy was shaped by public comments received at five informational meetings held throughout the state in October 2013 and by comments received through the public policy page of the DNR website. The Natural Resources Board approved the final land sale policy in December 2013.
"This is the next step in a process that began shortly after the new law went in to effect on July 1" according to Doug Haag, Deputy Bureau Director for the Bureau of Facilities and Lands. "Now we are conducting field reviews of the parcels. During the field review process, staff will assess the recreational and biological values of the property. They will also consider whether there is legal access to the land, or whether the land was designated for sale through some past action of the Natural Resources Board."
"We intend to break this up into manageable phases" said Kurt Thiede, Land Division administrator. "The timeline going forward includes completing the field reviews sometime around March 1, seeking government and tribal review during the month of March and into early April and then preparing the final package for review by the Natural Resource Board at its May meeting in Green Bay. Parcels approved for sale by the Natural Resources Board in May will be marketed for sale in June, July and August 2014."
The Department of Natural Resources owns land and land rights encompassing more than 1.7 million acres statewide, so the requirement to sell 10,000 acres affects less than 1 percent of the agency's land holdings. DNR expects the second phase of the land sale process to begin later this year and carry over into 2015.
"We have four years to meet our statutory requirement" said Thiede. "We want to complete this work in an open and transparent manner and in a time frame that is manageable for staff and the Natural Resources Board. The sale of these public lands will allow us to re-purpose surplus lands and divest in lands that don't serve an important role for DNR land management objectives, or public access."
Ultimately, the Natural Resources Board has final say on which lands will be offered for sale and will make that determination based on recommendations from the department later this year.
To view the list of lands currently being reviewed by field staff for possible sale, search the DNR website dnr.wi.gov, for keywords "land sales" and click on the button for "Parcels for review and sale."
More information about the actual marketing of the land and the bidding process will be available on the DNR website later this spring.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Doug Haag, Bureau of Facilities and Lands, 608-266-2136.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: State lands for sale

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am

Good move by the state imho.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 am

I have a 40 acre piece of DNR land that is completely landlocked by private land. The new landowner was trying to keep people out of it and not providing access until a warden set him straight. Seen some huge bucks there the past 25+ years and hoping that parcel is not on the chopping block. :pray:

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:19 am

Dewey, why does a landowner have to let someone cross his land to get to the landlocked public?

One of my best public spots is landlocked by everywhere by private, except one part is water where I get in. The reason the spot is great, is because the landowners don't let people in.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:30 am

Some of these parcels were gifted to the state ,included with which is an easement for public access.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

Spysar wrote:Dewey, why does a landowner have to let someone cross his land to get to the landlocked public?

One of my best public spots is landlocked by everywhere by private, except one part is water where I get in. The reason the spot is great, is because the landowners don't let people in.

Like Longbow said some come with an easement and access must be given. The land I am talking about is completely landlocked by farmland except for one small tractor trail. The landowner was blocking it because it went thru his farm yard past the barn. By law he was supposed to keep it clear for access.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 am

Is that MFL you're talking about Dewey? I know some MFL that is smack dab in the middle of land lock that has no access. That is violating the terms of agreement with the MFL/FCL contract, and some landowners knowingly cheat the system by putting a parcel of land into MFL and FCL that is out of reach to public use for cheaper land tax. You are supposed to contact the local Forestry office if there is any issues with access... Not sure if the same applies with DNR land. I know where there is a chunk of public land that cannot be hunted that is surrounded by land lock only because it is considered some sort of preserve area (State natural area) with trees that are hundreds of years old that dates back to the pre-pioneer era.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Is that MFL you're talking about Dewey? I know some MFL that is smack dab in the middle of land lock that has no access. That is violating the terms of agreement with the MFL/FCL contract, and some landowners knowingly cheat the system by putting a parcel of land into MFL and FCL that is out of reach to public use for cheaper land tax. You are supposed to contact the local Forestry office if there is any issues with access... Not sure if the same applies with DNR land. I know where there is a chunk of public land that cannot be hunted that is surrounded by land lock only because it is considered some sort of preserve area (State natural area) with trees that are hundreds of years old that dates back to the pre-pioneer era.

No it's actually WI DNR land that has been owned by the state for at least 30 years.

May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Michigan has the same problem--landlocked parcels and every year I see a couple added to the tax auctions. No easement for public access and no guaranteed easement for buyer..I don't understand, Michigan like Wisconsin is short on cash...Get these sold. Many are 40 acres plus..one just went up that was a couple hundred acres of swamp and hardwoods by surrounded by Ag fields..what a dream.

I hope they don't sell parcels with small or water only easements, typically that is where I start my scouting forays..What requires waders or better a boat to get to..
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:40 pm

They are potentially selling a piece im not happy about. It has road access, parking lot, and everything. Its smaller like 50 acres. It was willed to the dnr I feel they should not be able sell it that's not what he intended when he willed it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:44 pm

kurt wrote:They are potentially selling a piece im not happy about. It has road access, parking lot, and everything. Its smaller like 50 acres. It was willed to the dnr I feel they should not be able sell it that's not what he intended when he willed it.

I agree. That's just not right. :roll:

May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 am

Kurt,
That's ridiculous...We have the same problem on a nice piece that borders a large forested state park with no hunting. Over 1000 acres was gifted to the state. The agreement was the state could build a camp for 'the betterment of young men" so they put up a low risk prison camp. Naturally surviving family freaked as they were thinking boy scout camp..
Now everything is locked up while this plays out, it has been over 5 years now..What a mess..pretty country road, nice park entrances and parking area then razor wire and chain link with no occupants.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:40 am

Dewey wrote:
kurt wrote:They are potentially selling a piece im not happy about. It has road access, parking lot, and everything. Its smaller like 50 acres. It was willed to the dnr I feel they should not be able sell it that's not what he intended when he willed it.

I agree. That's just not right. :roll:

Ugh. That isnt right. Sad.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:13 am

May-39 wrote:Kurt,
That's ridiculous...We have the same problem on a nice piece that borders a large forested state park with no hunting. Over 1000 acres was gifted to the state. The agreement was the state could build a camp for 'the betterment of young men" so they put up a low risk prison camp. Naturally surviving family freaked as they were thinking boy scout camp..
Now everything is locked up while this plays out, it has been over 5 years now..What a mess..pretty country road, nice park entrances and parking area then razor wire and chain link with no occupants.

Whoa! :shock: You sure it aint one of those prisons that Obama and Dept. of Homeland Security is putting up to round up all the "potential threats of national security"?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”