East to west ridge tops

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridgerunner8

East to west ridge tops

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Hey guys, just have a couple questions, most of the public land I hunt is hill country with east to west ridge tops, the most common wind direction comes from the west or northwest, what should I look for ,hard to find bedding areas. Thanks.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: East to west ridge tops

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 am

ridgerunner8 wrote:Hey guys, just have a couple questions, most of the public land I hunt is hill country with east to west ridge tops, the most common wind direction comes from the west or northwest, what should I look for ,hard to find bedding areas. Thanks.

For west wind bedding I would look at the north and south sides of the ridge for points coming off that would work for a North wind West wind... There are usually points, fingers, and other land features that create wind based bedding...

Look at the East/West ridge in the bottom of this picture, I put red dots where a buck would likely bed on a West wind.

ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks Dan, there are some points ,I was thinking that most bedding would be mainly on the east side of a south point on a north west wind , also if a east ,west ridge if it curves to the north or south , that's where I should look ?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:42 pm

ridgerunner8 wrote:Thanks Dan, there are some points ,I was thinking that most bedding would be mainly on the east side of a south point on a north west wind , also if a east ,west ridge if it curves to the north or south , that's where I should look ?

The bucks are going to prefer leeward sides... If there is a point or bend of some sort that funnels ridge top movement toward the bed with the wind blowing in a way to give the deer the advantage, thats where they bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”