What is the best all-around hunting vehicle?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sneaky

What is the best all-around hunting vehicle?

Unread postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 am

It must be reliable, number one. Can't hunt if you can't get there. You must also be able to sleep in it, so you can stay mobile and stay long. It must have decent off-road capabilites. Doesn't have to go anywhere, but needs to be 4 wheel drive with some clearance.

I've been thinking about getting a used 4Runner. I think they would make a great run and gun vehicle. But I haven't decide for sure, yet.

What would y'all go with?

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: What is the best all-around hunting vehicle?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:35 am

Something American :idea:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:09 am

Tahoe or Suburban with the back seats folded down.

I use my tahoe(241,000 miles) and keep the back seats down all the time. She is my baby......boat puller, sleep in the back when needed and not afraid to lay deer in the back either.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:47 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Tahoe or Suburban with the back seats folded down.

I use my tahoe(241,000 miles) and keep the back seats down all the time. She is my baby......boat puller, sleep in the back when needed and not afraid to lay deer in the back either.

I like the Tahoes and Suburbans too. My buddy just got a Suburban for hunting.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 pm

I have seen a early 80's Ford Econoline van 4WD converted into a hunting machine and it was bad a**. It was camouflaged, had the old buck shot mudder tires with a single person bed made behind the driver's side seat. The guy who owned it everybody called ridgerunner and he was a die hard deer hunter from Muhlenberg County, Kentucky.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:33 pm

92 Town & Country ,best hunting machine I,ve hunted out of
tmoney22

Unread postby tmoney22 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:56 pm

A slightly lifted truck preferably chevy with a yamaha grizzly in the bed. This way you don't bottom out so easy. Decent aggressive tire, whenever the northern wisconsin firelanes get tooooo hairy. Dump the atv and continue moving. The crew or extended cab offers enough room for gear or even a few buddies...
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Might wanna check out the jeep patriot. I have one, great to sleep in, can put racks on it for canoe or kayak, bycicle, deer carrier. Great to sleep in, not a ton of extra space for other stuff if you're sleeping in it though. 4 Wheel drive will get you out of the mud and snow. Clearance is decent but not as much as you might need in some places but it does have a skid plate in case you don't clear something. Gets excellent gas mileage one of the top reasons I got it. I'm not sure about the new transmissions their running cause I got a manual, which I don't recommended for spotlighting but do-able. Oh, and its American! If it weren't for gas mileage I'd say one of those 4 wheel drive vans would be perfect.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 pm

This one works great for me.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:00 am

Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel. They are big though, 4x4 with 44gal fuel tank and they can get over 20mpg.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:58 am

My hunting vehicle also has to double as my daily driver. I'm not willing to pay for insurance on more than one car and I only have room to keep 1 vehicle right now. Also, since a vehicle is an asset that depreciates as soon as it leaves the lot, I'm not paying that much for it and it better last a looooong time. That being said, I think my 08 Toyota Tacoma works out pretty well. I know it's not an American vehicle, but it's made in California and through my research of the midsize truck market that there's Toyota, Nissan, and then everyone else. The offroad prowess of this truck, stock, is unreal...almost 18" of ground clearance. I've beaten the crap out of this one and my previous one, with no major issues. Mine is a regular cab, stick shift, 4x4, 4cyl. I put a hard top, fold up tonneu cover over the back to keep my gear secure and also provide a place to sleep if need be. For my means and my needs as a solo hunter...it's optimal. An extended cab and V6 engine would be nice, but that would have cost me $10k more and screw up my 22mpg on the highway (23-24mpg if I manage to keep my speed at 70). I also looked at the Jeep Patriot, but it hadn't been around long enough to build the reputation that the Tacoma has.

Now if I had a big boat to tow, kids to bring along, or had a legitimate reason to get a V8...I would go American with an F-150, Silverado 1500, or a Suburban/Tahoe.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:20 am

GRUD wrote:Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel. They are big though, 4x4 with 44gal fuel tank and they can get over 20mpg.

If I could have anything, it would be exactly that. Love those 7.3's.

They are just hard to find with reasonable miles, and when you do, they don't let them go for cheap.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 am

I like my 89 chevy with the slide in camper..

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:32 am

I like an older Jeep Cherokee. Not, a Grand Cherokee though they're money pits. The 4.0L straight 6 is virtually bulletproof. Many come in with 150,000 plus and still run like a top. The jeeps are a little smaller, so they can go almost anywhere. The Dana axles are solid, and so is the Tcase along with the AW4 transmission. You could take the rear seats out pretty easily to sleep back there. A buddy of mine has one, and he beats the out of it and it holds up good. I'm kinda biased though, I'm a tech at a Dodge/Jeep dealer. :D
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm

I like my 98 GMC Yukon, it pulls my 26' camper great, or if I want i can sleep in the Yukon. Then I can pull my utility trailer and have the Honda Rubicon with. I also like to use my beater 88 chevy 4x4.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”