New Bed Discoveries..need assistance PLEASE!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lones11

New Bed Discoveries..need assistance PLEASE!

Unread postby Lones11 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 am

I think I found my first sets of potential buck beds this past weekend in my usual Public Land hunting place in South Louisiana. I was doing some scouting after a morning sit and happened upon them. Both beds are COVERED with hair. I will attach a map of the location.

Map Description (image is of 0.5 miles x 0.4 miles):
The area outlined in green is a super dense thicket. All areas outside of the green circled area are mature old growth hardwood bottom swamp. The area north of the dense thicket is the potential feeding location as this area has some briars still remaining. The area west of the thicket is low cypress swamps. The yellow trail is an old logging trail that is overgrown and not used by people. The red trail is a maintained walking trail used by hunters (although there isn't too much activity in this area).

The bed location to the west seems to be a satellite bed as it is on a well worn game trail where there are no significant land features. The bedding location further east has two large 4ft x 5ft beds that about 25 feet from each other (one with a big log next to it and the other is up against a couple oak trees. Both bed locations are about 70 yds off of the walking trail from the north of them and give a slight visual towards the walking trail through some slightly more open areas in the thicket. The one I believe to be the primary bed (eastern bed) is in somewhat of a small "clearing" within the thicket where there are a couple of small oaks. I had previously found several scrapes in the location before I knew the bed was there. I can get into some of the trees in these locations with a lock on, but I would possibly only have a 15 yd shot in maybe one or two directions at most. I have 3 hunts left this year and I'm thinking of taking a shot at getting setting up on the primary bed and even if I end up bumping him I have until next year to figure him out. I just want to give myself the best shot at getting him though. I am guessing that he would be using these bed locations on a south wind so that he can keep an eye towards the walking trail and the open woods???

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New Bed Discoveries..need assistance PLEASE!

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 pm

From the sounds of your assessment, it sounds like you are on the right track... You may, or may not have spooked the area for the rest of this season, but I would give it a shot anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”