Crossbows Statewide Now

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Crossbows Statewide Now

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:08 am

This post isn't intended to be critical of people electing to use crossbows to hunt- I have friends and family that use them, and if the weapon is legal then I respect their choice. That being stated, the new law of allowing crossbows in Michigan statewide for all hunters in all seasons is BIG NEWS here- one of the heaviest hunted states in the Union. There are only minor exceptions to their use (can't be used in the upper peninsula in December).

Here's a link to the post I made in the State topics area for Michigan:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2357&p=22788#p22788

Could this type of legislation be coming to your state? I will be seeing a lot of public land hunters toting crossbows this year and in the future.

buck_junkie

Re: Crossbows Statewide Now

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:06 am

I suppose if I used one I would have a different perspective on using a crossbow, but I do not agree with them being used all season. It should have never been changed, should have had a special season just for crossbow. What next going to allow muzzleloaders all season also?
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:24 am

Muzzleloaders are not a bow. CrossBOWs are being used in bow season. It can still be argued as to whether it's right or wrong, but it does make some sense.

Texas allows them now, and you know, the world is still spinning. Maybe they don't belong....I don't know. But the guys that think it's the end of hunting as we know it are being a little dramatic. I haven't seen any changes yet. Your state may be different. Each one has to make its own decisions in that regard.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 am

Could this type of legislation be coming to your state? I will be seeing a lot of public land hunters toting crossbows this year and in the future.
I'd love to say that this will never happen In Minnesota but money talks. I'm not looking forward to the day It happens.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:03 am

Schultzy wrote:
I'd love to say that this will never happen In Minnesota but money talks. I'm not looking forward to the day It happens.

Same feelings for WI.

Why can't the yoopers utilize them in December? Too easy during the early winter migrations?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am

There are only so many hunters. The people that hunt are gonna hunt one way or another. I've never hunted with a crossbow but I'm all for using them. If it makes someone happy, let them do it. It's not like you can wipe out the deer just cause you use a crossbow. And I doubt it's much easier or effective than a bow. Plus some people need them. Also do you really think the people that need them are gonna be a threat to you? What about the great big buck state of Ohio, which allows crossbows and bait!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am

To each there own... I hope crossbows get more people involved with hunting. But, I think it should have its own season and not infringe upon normal bow season.... Will it effect me dramatically? Not really.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 am

They are getting ready to extend the season in 2011 here in Indiana. I really don't see where it is going to have a huge impact.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Sneaky wrote:Muzzleloaders are not a bow. CrossBOWs are being used in bow season. It can still be argued as to whether it's right or wrong, but it does make some sense.

Texas allows them now, and you know, the world is still spinning. Maybe they don't belong....I don't know. But the guys that think it's the end of hunting as we know it are being a little dramatic. I haven't seen any changes yet. Your state may be different. Each one has to make its own decisions in that regard.

You ever heard of sarcasm...I know that a muzzleloader is not a bow, I know crossBOWS are being used during bow season. I'm just stating my opinion that I do not believe that it is right for crossBOWS to be used during compound BOW season, I just think they should have their own season like muzzleloader and modern gun. I never said anything about it being the demise of hunting, just don't like it. Crossbows should be for guys that aren't able to draw a compound such as the elderly, or the disabled everyone else wanting to hunt with stick and string should use a big boy bow.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

The crossbow subject is very touchy for most. Here is the thing that worries me most about crossbow use.....safety! I predominantly hunt on public-land. I feel relatively safe in regular bow season (compound/recurve/longbow) since someone would have to make a conscious effort to draw the weapon and then aim at me before releasing the string. (Obviously I am talking about low-light conditions) The crossbow could easily be shouldered and discharged (similar to a firearm) without hesitation by a careless and excited hunter, which I feel could lead to more hunter accidents and/or deaths in the woods each fall. And we all know that someone will cock/load and then tie a bow rope to the front handle of one of the super-bows and then try to pull it up their tree to their stand and get shot accidentally (I can already read the report). I felt that there was not a problem with our harvest numbers before the introduction of crossbows and that the inclusion of modern in-line muzzleloaders during our blackpowder season over the last decade definitely increased and overall harvest numbers. I feel that those who need to use the crossbow due to inability or health should be allowed the privelege, but the rest of us were doing fine with our current choice of archery equipment. what is the old adage? If it ain't broke don't fix it? The DNR is good at fixing things that aren't broken and ignoring those that need fixing. (My 2-cents)

To each their own. Good luck.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:43 pm

publiclandhunter wrote:The crossbow subject is very touchy for most. Here is the thing that worries me most about crossbow use.....safety! I predominantly hunt on public-land. I feel relatively safe in regular bow season (compound/recurve/longbow) since someone would have to make a conscious effort to draw the weapon and then aim at me before releasing the string. (Obviously I am talking about low-light conditions) The crossbow could easily be shouldered and discharged (similar to a firearm) without hesitation by a careless and excited hunter, which I feel could lead to more hunter accidents and/or deaths in the woods each fall. And we all know that someone will cock/load and then tie a bow rope to the front handle of one of the super-bows and then try to pull it up their tree to their stand and get shot accidentally (I can already read the report). I felt that there was not a problem with our harvest numbers before the introduction of crossbows and that the inclusion of modern in-line muzzleloaders during our blackpowder season over the last decade definitely increased and overall harvest numbers. I feel that those who need to use the crossbow due to inability or health should be allowed the privelege, but the rest of us were doing fine with our current choice of archery equipment. what is the old adage? If it ain't broke don't fix it? The DNR is good at fixing things that aren't broken and ignoring those that need fixing. (My 2-cents)

To each their own. Good luck.

PLH

THANK YOU MY BROTHER! Yet another aspect of crossbow hunting I have not thought of. I am always trying to recruit the non-hunters to give bowhunting a try and for some odd reason that I cannot understand they always say "I might get me a crossbow and give deer hunting a try". For the life of me after I give my testimonials about all the great experiences I have had bowhunting they want to give crossbow hunting a try...irritates me to no end. I suppose I should just be glad they are willing to get out in the great outdoors.
tmoney22

Unread postby tmoney22 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Fred Bear said the same stuff when the compound bows started pushing out the recurves. Only consistent thing in life is change people!!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:35 am

Crossbows have been allowed state wide here in Virginia for many years now. I could care less. I am going to evolve, adapt, and still kill deer. A guy with a crossbow as one shot to kill a deer and they are no more accurate than a bow. So who gives a darn.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:25 am

So who gives a darn
I do very much so as I know you do. Technology will ruin bowhunting as time goes on. Technology In xbows Is just getting started. You haven't seen nothing yet. Where will It stop? You give someone an Inch and they'll take a mile. I'm never going to tell someone what I think they should bowhunt with, It's not my call. But I'd like to see bowhunting keep It's tradition some what. To me It's on It's way out. Just my take on It.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 am

To my understanding the reason why Michigan did it is because we were loosing unknown hunter numbers yearly. I agree with the decision. Today's youth are different than we were growing up, both in work ethic and technology. I am one who will hunt with both X and compound. If I am going out with one of the kids, then they get the X while I am using the compound. I have numerous children who love to spend time with me in the out doors, should I have to buy a bow for each? And then instill the dedication to practice? We all know how much time that takes. 6 kids and a Bride......
I know of a convicted felon who can't own or use a firearm. What is he to do? He doesn't have the resources to hunt or scout as much as I do. Is he to miss out on gun season because of bad decisions? Although he can still use a compound during the firearm season, why not swing some odds in his favor?

Let them enjoy more of the season! Let the children who other wise wouldn't get out, enjoy the great outdoors. Traditionalist worried about the same thing, everyone has their place and preference. To each their own, If it allows others to get out and experience the thrill that comes with the kill, I support it!
I will continue to kill them with my compound, but you can bank that if situation arises where I feel the only way I am gonna get the slob I am after is to tote a X, I'm toting the X!
IMO, it's about the memories, not legalism.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”