Deer stolen on public??

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Deer stolen on public??

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:05 am

Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you have ever had this happen? If not, what precautions do you use so that you don't have one stolen? I have been reading a lot of stories about people losing their bucks on not only public but private lands as well. We definitely can't trust people these days in the woods and we have to watch out for ourselves. I'm curious what you guys think on the subject.

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: Deer stolen on public??

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:12 am

I think a lot of stolen bucks are caused by missunderstood circumstances. A few are truely stolen, but I bet its few, pertaining to blood trails ending in a gut pile.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by purebowhunting on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:14 am

I had a 120's buck stolen off of my trailer while I was hunting.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 am

I had a buck stolen from me about 20 yrs ago hunting public down by Detroit area. Guys was sitting in a stand near where I shot the buck and I decided to sit for an hour after the shot. He dragged the buck up to the rd and threw it in his trunk. I found my arrow stuck straight in the ground and a drag trail to the rd. I Heard his car go by me and stop at the rd and never thought anything of it till the story was played out in the tracking job. Maybe he needed it more then me.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:36 am

Zap wrote:I had a 120's buck stolen off of my trailer while I was hunting.

That's a tough one! :shock: They get it while you were hunting?

I think if you arrow a good one on public you have to focus on staying with that deer and or marking it so you know it's yours. I'd be willing to leave my stand out there and come back and get it later if I arrowed a monster on public.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:00 pm

I have not had one stolen, but have covered them with leaves, the worst thing is a border line shot, and having to wait hours knowing others are hunting in the area, that could possibly bump the deer or take it. When I use to cart them out, I would literally run back to my truck and get the deer cart, these days, if I see them hit the dirt, I cut them up and the cape horns and meat go out 1st, hide my gear and get it on 2nd of 3 trip.

I started keeping my camera, small tripod, light, knife and game bags in my pack that goes in on every hunt so I am prepared. A good pack with the meat hauling option is great, in use the badlands 2200, it's a little big but compresses down.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I wound not worry about it to much, most guys are not going to be dragging a buck a mile from the road, of have a saw on there person to get the bone, lots of guys you meet way back will help you get them out, I waited 7 hours, in my truck in the parking lot, with no food or water on a liver hit deer, it was a long wait but was scared to leave the parking lot.

So having some eats and drinks are a must.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Had a guy we just hired, he has a friend, they killed nice buck, go get atv to get it out and when they got back someone had cut the antlers off!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Ruthless wtf is wrong with people!!!

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:08 pm

No, but I am careful. Hide the animal if I must leave it. etc…

Heard a horror story from a friend, he had a game warden confiscate a 180" 12 point he killed on public in Kentucky because he did not call to 'check in' the buck. Mind you he was miles from phone reception…….rough deal there….
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 am

PalmettoKid wrote:No, but I am careful. Hide the animal if I must leave it. etc…

Heard a horror story from a friend, he had a game warden confiscate a 180" 12 point he killed on public in Kentucky because he did not call to 'check in' the buck. Mind you he was miles from phone reception…….rough deal there….

That's just a warden being a jerk and hiding behind the law.
Last edited by Dewey on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language. This will not be tolerated at the Beast. Please choose your words carefully next time.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 am

A U.P. pal had one stolen this year from the back of his truck..My dad saved the text messages..
He shot two bucks in one day, the first was dragged to stand and hunt continued.
Well he drug the first one to the truck and went back for the second one,,,came back out with #2 and #1 wasn't in the truck anymore.

Was the second deer I heard stolen this year. Unreal,,can't believe someone would do that.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 am

Most people I hunt with have if they have hunted long enough. Do a thread search on stolen deer. I think we have had a few threads on it. Nothing worse than a thief! :angry-cussingblack:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 am

Had my gun buck taken this year. Long story but tracked it for 2.5 miles never cutting another human track. Right before closing time it crossed a road and walked past a guy within 30 yards. As I tracked it passed the guy i walked over and asked him if he saw it. He didn't see it because he was watching his corn pile in front of him. This was just about closing time so I stopped trailing about 100 yards further. Came back the next day and found a gut pile 200 yards away. This guy came back with his buddies and found it dead and took it knowing it was my buck. Lesson learned, dont ever tell someone you are tracking a deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Wow, what's wrong with people!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”