? on last outing of the year, quick scout, then hunt?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

? on last outing of the year, quick scout, then hunt?

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:29 am

Ok, I'am going to go out one last time this year. Haven't been out since mid Nov. i have one spot that had some promise right before our gun season, and I'm planning on going back in. There is about 1' of snow on the ground, all crops in the area have been picked and plowed under. If I understand it correctly, if I can get out early enough, I should just walk the transition line to find fresh tracks in and out. I drove the roads where I want to go, no tracks coming out, but 3/8-1/2 mile down, around the corner, there are some areas where tracks are coming out of another possible bedding area. The 1st spot is behind some private along the road, you have to park up a ways, then loop back S. behind the private to get to the good stuff. lots of browse, and if they are inclined, they can go to the NW acrosss the marsh/river/marsh to access an alfalfa field.

My thoughts were to arrive around 11:00 (taking 1/2 day vac.) get loaded up with pack/stand, walk around the s. end and check for tracks in the one area, then, depending on what looks like, heading back to the N. and keep going till i find a decent trail coming out of one of the other bedding areas. Temps are supposed to be in the mid Teens (hi of 15°) just coming off a 4 day of -0° temps. Sat. is supposed to be about 25-28.

Any thoughts?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: ? on last outing of the year, quick scout, then hunt?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 am

Sounds like decent plan.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 am

just looked at tomorrows forcast, ssw to s wind, that will change part of how I go in. I think I will still check my most southern spot, but then I will need to go back to the road, and then loop around and come back in from the north for my other spot. might actually be a good afternoon.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:05 am

Just leaving work. -9 F out, and the wind is supposed to pick up. This is going to fun. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:06 am

When I was real serious about hunting late season and extreme cold I always made sure I was on deer before I made the plunge. I would do some mobile looking and glassing. You can be hunting an area void of deer this time of year if you are in the wrong area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:48 am

mag1 wrote:Just leaving work. -9 F out, and the wind is supposed to pick up. This is going to fun. :)

Good luck Mag!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:54 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
mag1 wrote:Just leaving work. -9 F out, and the wind is supposed to pick up. This is going to fun. :)

Good luck Mag!

X2 Hope you have a good hunt. Wish I could get out today. Work sucks!!! :doh:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, no deer. And coldddddd, I managed to stay on stand from about 12:30 - 4:30, I started walking in around 11:30. I was on the leeward side of the small chunk of woods, so I had a wind break, when I climbed down and got into the open, wow, that wind was bitter. Seen a bunch of red squirrels, and I did some deer tracks. He skirted most of the woods, stayed in the brush more, avoiding possible ambush sites. The tree I went into was about 35 yds from his tracks, (let 3 sets of the past couple of days) looks like some does in the area also. I was able to figure out where the does were bedding, that's good for next year, got to get a doe early. I also was able to see where the big guy was traveling, love the snow. Tracks were all about a day or 2 old. It looks to be a good spot, not much sign of people in this portion of the public, they seem to go the other way, there was more tracks from that side, but the spot I was going into requires more work to get to. So, I have some more looking in the spring, but I found a neat old oak that was 35 yds in the other direction of my spot also. It's a spot I've been eying up for abit, but just haven't dove into before.

Now to wait for next year. :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”