Marsh or ridges?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wibowhntr

Marsh or ridges?

Unread postby wibowhntr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:50 am

I have some public land near me that I like to hunt. The problem I am having(should have done more scouting in the winter) is do bucks prefer to bed on ridge points or in the swamp? One of the areas I hunt has a big swamp with ridges on two sides of it. Thanks for the help.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Marsh or ridges?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am

I hope I am not speaking out of turn here as I do not have extensive swamp hunting experience only flood areas. If the area is high pressure I would assume that the most remote or isolated piece of cover is the preferred area probably marsh,swamp if there is an area with enough dry land to support a bedded buck. However if the area has very limited to no pressure I would assume that the ridges would offer a greater level of comfort and visual as well as wind current security. I would also assume that both are being used or both in specific conditions. Such as times of high pressure vs. low pressure, or flooding, or wind direction. Sorry I can not be of more help.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:19 am

Indianahunter wrote:I hope I am not speaking out of turn here as I do not have extensive swamp hunting experience only flood areas. If the area is high pressure I would assume that the most remote or isolated piece of cover is the preferred area probably marsh,swamp if there is an area with enough dry land to support a bedded buck. However if the area has very limited to no pressure I would assume that the ridges would offer a greater level of comfort and visual as well as wind current security. I would also assume that both are being used or both in specific conditions. Such as times of high pressure vs. low pressure, or flooding, or wind direction. Sorry I can not be of more help.

X2
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks guys. For bowhunting there isn't much pressure at all but during guns season it gets pounded pretty heavily.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:27 am

I have a very similar situation and have found that the mature buck will bed in the marsh or on the ridge and cannot determine why. I have found beds at both "HI" and "LOW" and have actually bumped bucks from both HI and Low beds. It does not seem to depend solely on the wind, or even deer personality for I have seen the same buck do both in the same season. I was thinking maybe it's temperature motivated. (shade)
In my case the marsh beds as well as the high beds are within 50 yds of the transition line. This makes it easy for me to basically hunt it the same or as one "safety" zone and it's treated so.
Just my $.02
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Hunting pressure has a large influence on the bedding preferences of the bucks I hunt. In low pressure wilderness areas I find bucks in both areas, whatever is the most advantageous for them regarding security, food, does and water. In the high pressure areas I hunt the older bucks pretty much abandon the high ridge/point bedding areas and hide in the swamp. Most hunters love to cruise the bedding points/ridges/hills while hunting and scouting high pressure areas- they don't like spending time in the nasty swamps.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 am

All good feedback on this topic. Keep this in mind....I would dare to say that a buck is probably high on the ridges in the summer with no pressure being exerted. The thing that may fool many hunters is that once any bit of human intrusion starts (if he has matured and survived a few seasons), he will change his habits and do what has kept him alive to this point - probably a thicket on high ground or the wet marsh. Most hunters will hit the high-ground and find his early rubs and then assume he is hanging out high, so they will hunt accordingly. Don't assume he is bedding high just beacuse you find a few early rubs. I would bet on the swamp being his high-pressure hangout and scout the transitions and rake swamp exit trails to expose fresh earth and then periodically check to look for large, directional tracks. If he is exiting the swamp in a few places to look for browse and acorns, you may be able to get a set-up for a good evening hunt early on.

P.S. Hunt inclement weather to catch him on his feet early to go to feed. Good luck!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:02 am

One of the areas I hunt gets pounded by hunting pressure. I agree with PLH that the bucks bed high in the summer then change to the swamp/marsh when it gets a lot of activity. The only thing I would add is I have witnessed on more than one occasion where a giant buck will bed in waist deep water in the middle of the swamp. This has happened in the same swamp. I know there are a couple "high" ground patches within the swamp, but there is someone hunting those high patches. I do not understand how these bucks can do this with the water temp being so cold. Doesn't make sense to me, but I've seen it a couple times.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:45 pm

The only thing I would add is I have witnessed on more than one occasion where a giant buck will bed in waist deep water in the middle of the swamp.

A deer can't bed in water it will get hypothermia... I would be willing to bet there is a little clump of high ground just high enough to support him.
I have jumped bucks in similar areas and often go over and find the bed cause I like to keep tabs on all the buck beds. I always find a high spot.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Love the ridges with the saddles, the crowe's feet, and the hubs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”