Transisition to ground hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bullseye

Transisition to ground hunting

Unread postby Bullseye » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:02 am

Let me start out by saying I have been a relatively successful tree stand hunter for over 20 years, most of them in Alabama where trees suitable for climbing abound. After moving to Oklahoma 4 years ago I realized most of the trees on the public ground I hunt aren't suitable for the climbing tree stands I love to use. Most of the area I was seeing the best sign in did not have a tree to climb and that was real frustrating. I did kill a few good bucks out of the trees I was able to climb. This year I decided I was gonna hunt from the ground some. The main problem with this for me was I had 0 confidence in trying to kill a deer from the ground, especially with archery equipment. So I began to do some research (this site helped me immensely) and decided to buy a ghillie suit and try it out. First time out in my suit I had a doe come by at 15 yards and never knew I was there. I promptly missed her(how I will never know). I was amazed at her inability to make out what I was in the suit. It was a tremendous rush to be so close to a deer on the ground, I was hooked then. A few hunts later I shot my first deer(a doe) from the ground. She came up to about 8 yards and I killed her cleanly. Amazing!!!! A few days later I was in the suit on the ground again and had just finished a series of estrous bleats and buck grunts when I heard a soft buck grunt behind me. A few seconds later a good buck came up from behind me and passed by at about 5 yards. I let him get to 20 yards and made a good shot. He ended up being a good 10(including trash on bases) and had 5.5inch circumference measurements around his bases. I am now hooked on the ground hunting with a ghillie suit, it offers many advantages on climbing trees. Havent hunted my climbers since then and don't know if I ever will. Too much fun on the ground.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Transisition to ground hunting

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:09 am

Very cool that you were able to adapt to hunting new ground with new challenges. However, I would consider not giving up totally on trees unless the fun of shooting them off the ground is what drives you? Most of the guys on this sight have given up on climbers, or rarely use them because of the lack of straight limbless trees in areas that hold large bucks. We use portable stands that get us in any tree, and ALSO hunt off the ground if the set up requires it... For me personally its about killing the buck on his terms, if I need to be in a tree, Im in that tree regardless of limbs, if its on the ground, then I am on the ground.
Bullseye

Unread postby Bullseye » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 am

Might be a little premature to sell the tree stands. Lol. I've had some back problems so loc ons generally aren't much of a option to me. Too small for me to be able to sit long. I'm really fired up to be able to have so many more areas to hunt now that I have been up to come up with a ground strategy that I have some confidence in. Also have been pretty impressed with the Carbon synergy product I have been dipping my ghillie suit in. I've never really been impressed with many scent control products, but this stuff seems to work well.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:08 pm

What part of Bama did you live? I'm close to Birmingham. Congrats on the buck!
Bullseye

Unread postby Bullseye » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Lived in Clay Chalkville for awhile then ended up in Alabaster. Hunted Greene County a good bit and ended up hunting small woodlots in the Old Weatherly subdivision in Alabaster. Big suburban bucks in there for sure. Still own a house in there, rent it out.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:01 am

Bullseye wrote:Lived in Clay Chalkville for awhile then ended up in Alabaster. Hunted Greene County a good bit and ended up hunting small woodlots in the Old Weatherly subdivision in Alabaster. Big suburban bucks in there for sure. Still own a house in there, rent it out.

Cool! That's not to awful far from me. Alabama has some good bucks... I just haven't been good enough to get one yet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:07 am

Nice!

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:32 am

Ground hunting is so much fun and can sometimes be better off than stand hunting.

I would highly recommend you to buy some of the 'Whitetail adrenaline' videos, you will love them.

Also if you haven't read Bill Vaznis' Book on Still Hunting, it is a gem on the subject.

Congrats on a great buck btw.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:23 am

Congrats on the buck and doe! That had to be a rush to kill them from the ground! Well done. I haven't used my climber the past two seasons, switched to hang on and sticks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 am

Nice work, I tried the carbon synergy but made more of mess than anything on my ghillie. I have had some awesome hunts this year from the ground the case of buck fever from the ground game got me and I missed.

The biggest hurdle for me has been the lack of visibility, but I am slowly getting used to it. It's allot warmer on the ground, been out here in the late season and have noticed that.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 am

:clap: :clap:
Bullseye

Unread postby Bullseye » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:13 am

keb wrote:Nice work, I tried the carbon synergy but made more of mess than anything on my ghillie. I have had some awesome hunts this year from the ground the case of buck fever from the ground game got me and I missed.

The biggest hurdle for me has been the lack of visibility, but I am slowly getting used to it. It's allot warmer on the ground, been out here in the late season and have noticed that.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I mix my carbon synergy with water in a spray bottle and spray down my suit. I dont dip the whole suit in the mixture like they recommend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”