Public Land Bedding opinions

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Public Land Bedding opinions

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 am

This is a small area 1,130 acres of a 8,728 acre tract of public land that I am looking at. I have never had the opportunity to scout this on foot, however trying to apply what I have earned here what do you guys think of the flagged spots for potential bedding?
WCA.jpg

WCA3.jpg

WCA2.jpg

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Public Land Bedding opinions

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 am

You'll have to scroll to see the flags and also this is for primary winds of West and South West for this area.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:26 am

I like the two top spots but the lower one I don't think would be buck bedding potential. Not steep enough.
I will mark up the topo and show my picks and post shortly.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 am

WIND:
BLUE= WEST
PINK=NORTH
GREEN=EAST
YELLOW=SOUTH
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:18 pm

WOW DAN! You are a BEAST! I thought about some of the areas that you highlighted but was afraid the terrain was too steep to hold deer. There are a ton of spots you picked however that I never would have dreamed of and when comparing it to the original topo I am amazed at your ability to located subtle terrain features so efficiently. Long Live The Beast!!!! I have a ton of things I could say in your post about how the beast has helped me but I am holding off until this fall when I can show pics from scouting until Lord willing a harvest! Thank you sir.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 am

Bob, where do you get your maps from? I like the aerial and topo combined. Thanks.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:32 am

Wow. That's amazing. I feel like I just learned a lot just by looking at the dots Dan put on there. That's some good stuff.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:30 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Bob, where do you get your maps from? I like the aerial and topo combined. Thanks.
LOL! I thought I got the map site from you! It is www.mapcard.com you have to pay for it but if you do this a lot then it is not bad at all. SNEAKY....You are right buddy, Dan is a beast you can learn alot from just how he answers other posts and apply it to your own situation. I challenge anyone to find a site this helpful for FREE...Can't be done! The Beast is where it's at.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:36 am

Indianahunter wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:Bob, where do you get your maps from? I like the aerial and topo combined. Thanks.
LOL! I thought I got the map site from you! It is http://www.mapcard.com you have to pay for it but if you do this a lot then it is not bad at all.

Hmmm, :oops: I don't think so, unless I passed it on from someone else. I don't have a subscription. I'm too cheap I guess. I'm looking for a free one that can do that.:mrgreen: !
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:33 am

Indianahunter wrote:
LOL! I thought I got the map site from you! It is http://www.mapcard.com you have to pay for it but if you do this a lot then it is not bad at all. SNEAKY....You are right buddy, Dan is a beast you can learn alot from just how he answers other posts and apply it to your own situation. I challenge anyone to find a site this helpful for FREE...Can't be done! The Beast is where it's at.

I learn a lot more here than anywhere else.
futuredoc

Unread postby futuredoc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 pm

When are you going over there? That's where I hunt. Recognized it right away on the map? Let me know so I'm not in your way.

Kendall
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:36 pm

That's all yours buddy. You have already done the work. Just shoot me a note when you whack a slob in there and give me a call so I can come help get that thing out because that my friend is going to be a job unto itself.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:20 am

dan wrote:I like the two top spots but the lower one I don't think would be buck bedding potential. Not steep enough.
I will mark up the topo and show my picks and post shortly.

Dan,

This is an interesting point, what do you consider steep enough? Maybe 3-5 topo lines packed pretty close together with no real wide bench on the decent?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 am

With all the scouting I do, I know what Im looking for, but it sure is hard to put in words. Each property is different, and what might be steep enough on one, may not be on another. They seem to seek out the steepest drop they can find and like to be near the top usually, not on a bench, but in some areas I have seen a lot of bench bedding...
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

That is very insightful, I am going to have go to some of the hillier places around here this winter / early spring and take some notes. I pretty much stayed in the farm country this past scouting season. I just never imagined them wanted to bed on a steep area, I guess because I thought it wouldn't be comfortable for me...LOL

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”