Anyone use the Kettle moraine southern forest?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jeff G
500 Club

Anyone use the Kettle moraine southern forest?

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 am

I know there is a large beast member population in WI. How many of you have dabbled in whitetail hunting in the southern kettle moraine state forest. Its 20,000 acraes and I believe there are a few dandy's running around. Just looking to see what the opinion is of this forest.

seeds

Re: Anyone use the Kettle moraine southern forest?

Unread postby seeds » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 pm

I don't think you'll get an opinion of "the forest" as a whole....Of the areas I have some familiarity with,I'd break it into at least 4 separate sections...I see someone besides me has been picking milkweed pods at one parking spot.

The Lulu Lake area is considered a part of KMSF south and got nailed badly with EHD last year.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:15 pm

I hunt the northern part of it. I like it cuz of the varying terrain

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:43 pm

I didn't know that about the ehd, thanks for the info. I always thought that gun hunting was confined to the northern portion, I found out today the the entire forest is open to gun hunting. Made me rethink some spots. Thanks guys!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I'd break it down into the Eagle and north,Eagle to Palmyra,south,and the various other areas such as lulu/paradise springs or lowe lake.

I spent a ton of time scouting the entire thing this late winter/spring/summer. There's huge areas I walked and then discounted - at least for now - like Lulu. There's areas I was really pumped to hunt until I realized how much pressure the area got. Some got too much recreational (dog walker,horses) pressure. Pheasant hunters. "Neighbors" who have adopted and posted 10 acres here,20 there...

And just like Goldilock's oatmeal,there's areas that are just right....then you might come back to find three permanent stands and a recently cut and heavily used trail in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”