Calling on Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Missionshooter
500 Club

Calling on Public Land

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:47 am

I was in the tree the other morning hunting a new area of public land and at about 7:30am, I had another hunter hit the horns and blow a grunt call like crazy trying to imitate the longest buck fight this side of the Mississippi. The guy was at least 3-400 yards away. He called every 15 minutes throwing in some doe estrus bleats here and there.

Then about 8:00am, another hunter to the West of me started to rattle like a mad man. This went on until 10am with the two hunters banging antlers and grunting.

I will not be back to that area. I assumed I didn't have company, but it sort of tough when their friends drop them off and don't leave a truck as evidence of another hunter.

That's public land for you......

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Bucky

Re: Calling on Public Land

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:50 am

Tis the season.... :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:29 pm

My friends just don't understand how challenging public land hunting can be.

If you were a bedded mature buck and you heard 2 simultaneous rattling sequences followed by grunting, what would you think?
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 pm

There are those who think that what they see on TV actually works. "That leaky roof will cost thousands in repair." HAHA. Rut hunting is the bread and butter of Glamour Hunting DVD'S. Hey it works for them...I watched a guy walk by me about 70yds half our before dark after I had been there since 2pm carrying a set of world record size sheds and sits down in marsh grass and takes out a weeks worth aggression for 10 minutes. Waits 5 minutes and walks out. Head shake, head shake?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:59 pm

No snort wheezes?
Those fellows are amateurs ....... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:24 pm

:lol:

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Been there man!! Sucks!!
:roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Too bad they didn't annoy a mature buck right to your stand :D
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:07 pm

I had a guy once in the marsh come stalking by me grunting like a deer with his arrow nocked. Wouldn't you know it the guy decides to sit on the ground right under my tree! Figured I would have some fun so every time he made his sickly mouth grunt I blew lightly on my grunt call. He jumped up and was looking everywhere but up! Had no clue I was 15 feet above him! Then I crack a few branches causing the guy to take off on his stalk again grunting with all they way. All I could do is shake my head! The guy reminded me of Elmer Fudd hunting rabbits! :lol:

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Dewey wrote:I had a guy once in the marsh come stalking by me grunting like a deer with his arrow nocked. Wouldn't you know it the guy decides to sit on the ground right under my tree! Figured I would have some fun so every time he made his sickly mouth grunt I blew lightly on my grunt call. He jumped up and was looking everywhere but up! Had no clue I was 15 feet above him! Then I crack a few branches causing the guy to take off on his stalk again grunting with all they way. All I could do is shake my head! The guy reminded me of Elmer Fudd hunting rabbits! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Zap wrote:
Dewey wrote:I had a guy once in the marsh come stalking by me grunting like a deer with his arrow nocked. Wouldn't you know it the guy decides to sit on the ground right under my tree! Figured I would have some fun so every time he made his sickly mouth grunt I blew lightly on my grunt call. He jumped up and was looking everywhere but up! Had no clue I was 15 feet above him! Then I crack a few branches causing the guy to take off on his stalk again grunting with all they way. All I could do is shake my head! The guy reminded me of Elmer Fudd hunting rabbits! :lol: [glow=red] wabbits[/glow]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fixed :)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Dewey wrote:I had a guy once in the marsh come stalking by me grunting like a deer with his arrow nocked. Wouldn't you know it the guy decides to sit on the ground right under my tree! Figured I would have some fun so every time he made his sickly mouth grunt I blew lightly on my grunt call. He jumped up and was looking everywhere but up! Had no clue I was 15 feet above him! Then I crack a few branches causing the guy to take off on his stalk again grunting with all they way. All I could do is shake my head! The guy reminded me of Elmer Fudd hunting rabbits! :lol:

:lol:

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:46 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the ones that are whistling for there friends and you whistle back. They get totally confused.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:57 am

Took my 10yr old son out yesterday for an afternoon/ evening hunt set up in a blind. Passed a few trucks about 2miles from where we went in. We got settled in and heard the most hilarious doe bleat that sounded like an elk cow! My boy chuckles and goes "wow that was bad dad". I agreed and after a bit we hear the grunt tube blast. Now I've heard some bad calling but this fella was really taking that to a new level. Again with screaming elk cow mews at prime time. Then I heard loud talking! My son goes"that's a wrap huh dad"? Everybody left at go time with 15 min to hunt! We sat tight and had 2 does go sprinting by at 30yds that they booted our way. Beautiful weather and great spending time with my right hand man in the woods. We both had some good laughs over the "how not to call to deer" tactics!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”