? about stands with screw in steps on Wi. public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

? about stands with screw in steps on Wi. public land

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 am

I was in one of my smaller hole hunting spots last week. When it got light, I noticed that someone had a stand and screw in steps not to far away. Over the past few years, I have seen a couple of stands that where left out, probably most of the season by a person. Do I call the warden? I haven't so far, didn't want to mess up the area, but this is starting to bug me. Any thoughts? I also don't want to give someone a reason to mess with my vehicle, but the Law is the Law. (I don't have an issue if someone is hunting dawn to dusk, and is coming back the next day, but screw in steps?)

C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Re: ? about stands with screw in steps on Wi. public land

Unread postby C&T Archery » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:39 am

I believe they have a tip line that wouldn't have to tell them your name or anything, but if the area has light pressure and the person could easily figure it out, its a crap shoot on whether or not to call.

When I hunted public up in Mountain. I ran into the same situation and I went up and unscrewed all the steps zip tied them together and left them at the bottom of the tree with a note saying screw-in steps are illegal. At least he /she was going to have to put in the extra effort to redo them.
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:03 am

I take a picture, copy the GPS coordinates and forward the info to the local wardens especially if there is also an illegal bait pile or mineral out and let them deal with it. I believe it is our job as hunters to police ourselves because the wardens cannot be everywhere. It's not fair to everyone that follows the rules and I believe in a level playing field for everybody.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 am

Dewey wrote:I take a picture, copy the GPS coordinates and forward the info to the local wardens especially if there is also an illegal bait pile or mineral out and let them deal with it. I believe it is our job as hunters to police ourselves because the wardens cannot be everywhere. It's not fair to everyone that follows the rules and I believe in a level playing field for everybody.

X2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:39 am

Thank the guy for letting you know where he is hunting and be thankful he is not moving around and is only boogering that spot... I would move on, if someone is already hunting there its probably not the spot that either of you are going to whack the big guy from...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 am

Dewey wrote:I take a picture, copy the GPS coordinates and forward the info to the local wardens especially if there is also an illegal bait pile or mineral out and let them deal with it. I believe it is our job as hunters to police ourselves because the wardens cannot be everywhere. It's not fair to everyone that follows the rules and I believe in a level playing field for everybody.

I have done this too. i don't always, but a couple times the stands were put in annoying locations to me such as the only tree out in the middle of a marsh. I wanted to use that exact tree as an observation spot, and to use it, i would have had to sit in his crappy welded home made stand. The people at the DNR told me to report all stands I found. I don't report all of them, but if I notice that the stand has been there for a really long time or if its still up in the spring when i'm out scouting i will call it in. I will leave it alone if it seems like someone is actively using it.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

dan wrote:Thank the guy for letting you know where he is hunting and be thankful he is not moving around and is only boogering that spot... I would move on, if someone is already hunting there its probably not the spot that either of you are going to whack the big guy from...

Same here.

If I reported all stand I find the warden would be on speed dial. One day I found 7. I do report littering and other offensive laws being broken but a guy leaving a stand in the woods, to me, is just the way it is hunting public.

It just tells me to avoid an area or how to best approach the deer because you can bet the deer know where most of the stands are, if not all of them are located too.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 am

I know the tree steps are illegal,but isn't it legal to leave a stand out on public now in WI? I thought they passed that law a year or two ago. I like what Dan said, leave it and you know where not to hunt. You may be creating problems for your future hunts if the guy figures out it's you and wants revenge.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:15 am

dan wrote:Thank the guy for letting you know where he is hunting and be thankful he is not moving around and is only boogering that spot... I would move on, if someone is already hunting there its probably not the spot that either of you are going to whack the big guy from...

X-3
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Yep.

seeds

Unread postby seeds » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:I know the tree steps are illegal,but isn't it legal to leave a stand out on public now in WI? I thought they passed that law a year or two ago....

It was discussed/voted on at the spring hearings but not passed.

I also only turn in the ones with bait in non-baiting areas. I've also had a few days scouting new areas when I found more than 1/2 doz,more if I counted climbers locked to the tree.

The "no overnight stands" rule is not enforced on county-owned lands in my county. It's up to the sheriff's dept and it's just not a priority....Last year I had a twinge of "if you can't beat'em,join'em" and bought several inexpensive stands,end-of-season sale...Ya know,there just isn't anywhere on public land that I'd care to hang a permanent stand even if it were legal. And even if the law's seldom enforced,I'd still rather be on the right side of it.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:45 am

Thanks for the input. I actually think this guy has been tracking some of our movements the last couple of years and finally moved into the one spot where we were seeing most of our action on this parcel. (60yds from where i shot the one in my sig.)
Based upon the way the grass looked, I don't think he's in there to much though. I don't want to cause any issues either. I do most of my hunting mid week so as to miss the weekend rush. thanks again.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:13 am

GPS and turn into some after your done hunting there..warden pretty busy right now and I don't want another person wandering back there
During hunting season
Personally I'm with Dan if I find any stands / hunters near my spots I write it off for awhile at best unless doe hunting
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm

My personal opinion is to mind your own business in situations like these. I don't feel it harms the deer or you. I would also consider befriending this person, bet it would increase your success esp in this area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

lostinstateforest wrote:My personal opinion is to mind your own business in situations like these. I don't feel it harms the deer or you. I would also consider befriending this person, bet it would increase your success esp in this area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I completely respect your opinion on this but let me pose a few questions....................

If nobody said a word about these illegal stands on public land how would you feel if next year you went back to hunt that same public land and there were 20 more stands? Worse yet all of the stand owners would then tell you to move on because it is "their spot". How would you feel?

This is why the laws were originally written because a few took advantage of it and caused problems with other hunters. Public land is for everyone and nobody should be able to stake out a claim so to speak.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”