? about stands with screw in steps on Wi. public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: ? about stands with screw in steps on Wi. public land

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Dewey wrote:
lostinstateforest wrote:My personal opinion is to mind your own business in situations like these. I don't feel it harms the deer or you. I would also consider befriending this person, bet it would increase your success esp in this area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I completely respect your opinion on this but let me pose a few questions....................

If nobody said a word about these illegal stands on public land how would you feel if next year you went back to hunt that same public land and there were 20 more stands? Worse yet all of the stand owners would then tell you to move on because it is "their spot". How would you feel?

This is why the laws were originally written because a few took advantage of it and caused problems with other hunters. Public land is for everyone and nobody should be able to stake out a claim so to speak.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree with Dewey, the laws are there for a reason, to keep people from "claiming" spots. If someone has a stand out they naturally will think of it as "their spot" because they have a vested interest in it. There is no reason for anyone to leave them out anyways, there are so many options for nice stands out there even if people dont want to invest in the Lone Wolfs. The only positive is if they are not carrying their set-up in and out with them each night, they are probably not in the game anyway. I found a climber on public last saturday, had a tree umbrella blind on one side and a mock scrape made on the horse trail/road. I laughed when I saw it, there was no way they were going to be successful there, but I guess if they are having fun..... I set up 75 yards downwind and slightly uphill from him, and proceeded to see all the deer skirting him because they knew they were there.

lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:24 pm

Brad wrote:
Dewey wrote:
lostinstateforest wrote:My personal opinion is to mind your own business in situations like these. I don't feel it harms the deer or you. I would also consider befriending this person, bet it would increase your success esp in this area.

I completely respect your opinion on this but let me pose a few questions....................

If nobody said a word about these illegal stands on public land how would you feel if next year you went back to hunt that same public land and there were 20 more stands? Worse yet all of the stand owners would then tell you to move on because it is "their spot". How would you feel?

This is why the laws were originally written because a few took advantage of it and caused problems with other hunters. Public land is for everyone and nobody should be able to stake out a claim so to speak.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree with Dewey, the laws are there for a reason, to keep people from "claiming" spots. If someone has a stand out they naturally will think of it as "their spot" because they have a vested interest in it. There is no reason for anyone to leave them out anyways, there are so many options for nice stands out there even if people dont want to invest in the Lone Wolfs. The only positive is if they are not carrying their set-up in and out with them each night, they are probably not in the game anyway. I found a climber on public last saturday, had a tree umbrella blind on one side and a mock scrape made on the horse trail/road. I laughed when I saw it, there was no way they were going to be successful there, but I guess if they are having fun..... I set up 75 yards downwind and slightly uphill from him, and proceeded to see all the deer skirting him because they knew they were there.

It doesnt bother me if people hang stands and leave them, esp if they use them. I am from PA and hunt public land exclusively, so I know what it's like to be crowded. That being said if every guy in the woods left a note on a tree telling me where he is hunting I would be happy. It doesn't matter to me if they think they own that spot bc if they are going be there during season hopefully I won't and definitely not if I known in advance. I didn't say the law was an unfounded or a silly law, I simply stated I would keep my mouth shut and move on and or befriend him to know when he is going to be there. Also a when you have a public land pissing match Vous perdez votre temps.
So in closing the way I would feel if the spot had 20 permanent stands and hunters telling me to move on would be informed.

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:02 am

I found a tree with steps yesterday and took them all out and tossed them on the ground. this is only after a guy in a jeep drives by me and drives all around the crp. I finally got down and ran out and stopped the guy only to see he is driving around with a 12 ga on the seat next to him. i took his pic and a pic of his truck with the plate number.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 pm

I have been calling the wardens. I called about over baiting in Price co last year. At the end of the talk I mentioned that this guy leaves his back porch light on every gun season eve, and several days after that. I told the warden It's been like that since I bought the land in 1989. I was sure he was poaching, and the whole bunch of 20 guys are bad news. I can see the back light from my cabin about 3/10's mi. away. The warden walked up to the cabin during muzzy season @ 10 PM one night. One peak in the window and it was all over. His cross bow was cocked, window open, mechanical feeder, 10 gal. pumpkin to boot, with over head beams on the gable . He had already poached a deer on 11/6/12. I think the registration guy caught wind with the 22 bullet holes in his head. My point is , if I'd have called the warden 20 years ago it may not have gotten so out of hand. I wonder how many bucks he poached that our group would have taken legally. I called in GPS reading in the Kettle MOraine N. this year. A bait pile and ladder stand was there for a few weeks. We need to raise the standards on ourselves. It's just a deer.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 am

I see it allot, esp in kansas where screw in steps are legal, it's good and bad, good is I know some lazy slob is around, bad they should have to follow the rules and and at some point those steps will break and they will get hurt.

In iowa they want to know about them, and don't play games with guys doing it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:48 am

Like I stated in the other thread, if you see the violations but do nothing about it, you are as bad as the violator.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”