Follow-up for Dan on his aerial scouting advice..

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Darion

Follow-up for Dan on his aerial scouting advice..

Unread postby Darion » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:54 pm

UNBELIEVABLE...
If I had only one word to use that would be the one. Dan you showed me three different areas, but I only have scouted/stalked two of them, and what I saw was amazing. I definitely have a solid baseline for next year. I was really excited to get home and post a map with what i found but I don't have the skills on this computer to do it yet. Anyway it was exactly as you had predicted, I saw the individual beds of the bucks , some of their travel routes( I'm not gonna lie, I can't figure them out yet) and the rubs. From what I saw the rubs were concentrated near the bedding and as you got away from that area they just stopped. Even more amazing to me was your advice on stand/hunting position, of the two places that I have scouted so far your positioning of the stand is awesome. If I can figure out how to edit an image and post it I would really like to show you the signs and trails that I found, and also some of the stand locations of other hunters. You can really see how the bucks are simply just going around all these guys. I wanted to let you know what I found at any rate in case you were curious, I was really impressed. I could only imagine how much more you would notice in person rather than a sattelite image.
I decided to stalk and scout simply because I live an hour away , and I have not seen one deer since firearm season started. So I am working on next year.[color=#FFFFFF][/color]

keb
500 Club

Re: Follow-up for Dan on his aerial scouting advice..

Unread postby keb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Good luck on your quest.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Great feedback.

It is a big confidence builder to pick a spot on a map and then walk to it and confirm exactly what you suspected.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Good job Darion. Stay at it brother! :clap:

I have a short story on Dan too.

I was going on an out of state hunt where I had laid eyes on a 160 class buck 3 times in the season. twice the season before, and numerous times as a 2.5 yearo the year prior.
I was getting down in the dumps because the 3 days I was going there to hunt the wind directions were not going to be good for the bed I seen the buck using.

Dan had sent a reply to a pm I sent asking for his advice ( im sure I still have his reply saved)

Anywho, I told Dan the wind direction I was supposed to have, and he told me where he thought the buck should be bedding. I never second guessed his advice. I setup and planned to hunt that set all day (6.0 hour drive one way)

The buck got up from bedding on a field edge almost exactly where Dan said he would suspect him to be. This was a spot at least 100 yards away from the primary bed. This was also on a ridge side...not a point.

To say the least the buck got up from his bed he went in an opposite direction I needed for a shot...but I was in total amazement than Dan called the exact location of that buck from looking at topo and aerials alone!

Good stuff!
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:15 pm

keb wrote:Good luck on your quest.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

That is a good way to put it, i have not hunted like this before and I love it. This feels more like 'hunting' and not 'waiting'.
Figured out how to edit the image... this is what I learned today.
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/Darion ... d.jpg.html
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:21 pm

backstraps wrote:Good job Darion. Stay at it brother! :clap:

How do you scout and hunt an area that far away/ how often do you scout?
I have a short story on Dan too.

I was going on an out of state hunt where I had laid eyes on a 160 class buck 3 times in the season. twice the season before, and numerous times as a 2.5 yearo the year prior.
I was getting down in the dumps because the 3 days I was going there to hunt the wind directions were not going to be good for the bed I seen the buck using.

Dan had sent a reply to a pm I sent asking for his advice ( im sure I still have his reply saved)

Anywho, I told Dan the wind direction I was supposed to have, and he told me where he thought the buck should be bedding. I never second guessed his advice. I setup and planned to hunt that set all day (6.0 hour drive one way)

The buck got up from bedding on a field edge almost exactly where Dan said he would suspect him to be. This was a spot at least 100 yards away from the primary bed. This was also on a ridge side...not a point.

To say the least the buck got up from his bed he went in an opposite direction I needed for a shot...but I was in total amazement than Dan called the exact location of that buck from looking at topo and aerials alone!

Good stuff!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”